New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 101 Pigeon 28 ga skeet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm being offered a Winchester 101 Pigeon Grade 28 gauge o/u with 28" barrels choked skeet/skeet with a center bead. Condition is metal 98%, wood 90-95%, action tight. Stock has a decelerator pad in the place of the factory butt, and LOP is around 13.75". This is the original Pigeon grade, probably from the 1970s, and not the later XTR.

I know that the field grade Win 101 in 28 gauge brings a "healthy" price these days, but don't know what the Pigeon upgrade might be worth, nor do I know if the skeet model is more or less desirable than one with field choked barrels.

Would appreciate ballpark estimates of a fair price.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, which ain't much since I am not current on values, there is a similar (or the same gun) on GB with a BIN of $1700, with a $1400 starting price but "reserved". Personally I think that is a bit high since the fixed skeet chokes are not a plus IMO. OTOH I see people asking more for lesser quality 28 101s so I'm thinking that the $1500 area might be decent buy and much more than that, I'd probably buy the one on GB if I wanted one.

I think the $1500 area is a good buy for a old style 101 pigeon 12 with tubes, so adding for the ga and subtracting for the lack of tubes, I would think $1500 would be a good buy on said 28.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The one I'm being offered is local, not on GB. The only 28 gauge 101 I could find on GB is a field grade with a crack in the forearm offered for a starting fantasy bid of $2495. Maybe my search missed the one you located. Can you give me the auction number?

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mais oui......

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=473814183

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW to clarify, I was referring to a Pigeon 12 101 with 27 inch tubed barrels in excellent condition.

If I wasn't doing my best to NOT buy more shotguns (just added a Midas Superposed, a gun I've wanted since I was a kid), I'd buy that 28.

My current plans are to install a skeet/trap range on my ranch, mostly for my kids. That 28 would fit right in. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gotcha!

I kinda agree that $1500 would be an attractive price for a Win Pigeon 101. A bit more or a bit less, depending on condition and quality of wood, I suppose. The ascending order of value according to gauge seems to be 12, 20, .410, with 28 on top.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ones I have seen are in the $3000 range that are 28 gauge Pigeons. And up to about $5000 for the better ones.

http://www.dawsonsdoubles.com/details.php?ID=3674

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote