THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Winchester Model 24 20 ga what a shooter!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 24 20 ga what a shooter!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I guess I am getting use to my Winchester model 24 20 ga .I went Sat and shot 52 straight clays with it.I switched to a friends Fox 12 ga and couldnt hit the side of a barn.This 20 ga sxs has a large front bead site.I think I have been missing the program the whole time with my sxs shotguns.I am going to get some big beads put on my other sxs.This little 20 ga Winchester is going to be awesome on birds in the fall.I never knew that it would make such a big difference.I will try big beads on my biakal 20 ga shotguns even though they already shoot good.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Fit is everything. In a properly fitting shotgun (of any type) you don't even need sights/beads. Im betting your buddy's gun didn't fit you the same as the Model 24.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think single trigger messed me up .It also didnt hit to point of aim.I have big epth perception problem large bead helps big time.This Model 24 fits me perfict.I could kick my butt for selling 12 ga that was built in 1939 it was like new.It was unfired without a scratch .It had wood to die for.I wish I had bought one of the 20 ga model 24s long ago but I have only seen two of them ever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
dgr416:

I think that Hobie's point is that shotguns are not aimed. They are pointed. When we speak of a shotgun "fitting" you it refers to what the view is when you bring it up to your shoulder. (Without any movement of your head whatever) does the eye look along the barrel (not so far back and down as to make it look like you're peeking up over the chamber(s)and not so far down the barrel that the eye is looking at a point about 1/3 t0 1/2 ways down the barrel. I appreciate what you say about depth perception problem and hence you like the bead. Is it that you like the bead because it "orients" you as to where the end of the barrel is? (if located at that point) Then I understand why you use it. (I was a little troubled by your reference to "point of aim". Any body who shoots 52 straight in clays is doing something right and needs no advice from me! What I'm saying here is more for other shooters just starting out with a shotgun)

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its weird I tried two of my other shotguns I can hardly hit with them.The rib on this model 24 is kinds wide and sunken.I shot 125 skeets with it /4 pounds3.The wind was blowing about 30 and swirling.I have never practiced in the wind but it really helped.I think tha this model 24 and my russian Bikal sxs are my best shooters.The Virginia capes sxs is just too light.Its around 5and 3/4 pounds.The Winchester 24 id about 6and 3/4.It is also more open choked a imp and mod.The other doubles were mod and full.I am so glad I bought this model 24 it fits me like a glove.I could kick my butt for selling the 12 ga unfired one I had.I guess I will have to buy another one.This 20 I have was hardly used.Its a great American built shotgun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I missed 3 skeets out of 125 it was supose to say.The Winchester weighs 6 3/4 pounds vs 5 3/4 for my Virginia capes gun.I found that a shotgun can be too light for sure.I have never shot skeet this good with a sxs!I think itthe 24 has a perfict crossing of the barrels to the point of aim.There is somethiNg perfict about this shotgun ,I think everything!