New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 887 vrs 870
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have experience with the new Rem 887 pump shotgun? What features does it have that make it better or not as good as the 870 ?? Looking for a new pump gun with 3 1/2 in chamber .

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone must have bought a 887 shotgun. Are they any good?? What do you like about it?? What do you not care for??

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cant imagine touching off a 3.5" shell in an 887, the 870's with 3" shells were brutal. I would really think about a gas operated auto if I were inclined towards 3.5" 12 ga. shells ( I am not).
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stopped in at one of the local gun shops and they had just brought in some 887's. The action is nothing like the 870. The 887 action has a rotating bolt head and while it is likely very strong it is not as smooth as the 870 action.The 887 s I had in my hands all seemed kind of gritty in the actions. That may smooth up but for my money I think I would stay with an 870. The 887 have a weatherproof coating on all exposed parts, the gun is quite light and swings nicely. The soft recoil pad is likely a good idea when shooting 3 1/2 in shells. Might make a good back up pump gun for shooting in real dirty weather when you don't want to use your auto or other fine shotgun.