New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ithaca/SKB 800?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've found references to the SKB O/U sold under the Ithaca nameplate in the 500, the upgraded 600, and a 700 which was apparently offered as a target gun. Now I've come across one marked "800" with a beautiful stock and engraving. Anyone have any info on these SKB's from the 1970's?

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They were Japanese made.

Here in the UK BSAsold them under the BSA name and then later directly as what they were, under their own SKB name.

This is just after the time when Webley were selling Beretta O/U guns under the Webley name.

All old guns wear and some models of some guns have design issues.

This man's didn't work:

http://shotgunworld.com/bbs/vi...ic.php?f=96&t=306620

However the SKB guns, I have two of their 200 E S/B/S models were well built, reliable, and well designed.

But the "new' SKB say that they don't have spares for the "old" SKB company's models.

Just like the "new" Winchester doesn't for the "old" Winchester company's models.

SKB I thnk is a shortening of SAKABA or some such.

Try it. If you can. If it fits and breaks clays then it's a keeper. Do however check the chokes to see if they are still as bored.

Sometimes these things get opened up!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
They are built like tanks. They were made and used for USA trap shooting just for that reason. Very good guns for the money.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bit the bullet and bought it. It is a three-barrel set, 20, 28, and .410, all choked S & S, and is delightfully light, trim, and feels great in my hands. The SKB design allows a very shallow frame, so it feels like a 28 gauge frame but is adequate for the 20. It looks like the previous owner favored the .410 bore since that barrel set shows just a modest amount of use, however the 20 and 28 barrels look virtually unfired.

Haven't shot it yet, but even though I haven't hunted quail for more than a decade I think I'll slip out with it when I catch some nice weather and see how quick it seems on a covey rise.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote