Find
Notify
Tools

12 gauge turkey
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DICKY1
posted
Why can't a 12 gauge be good enough for turkey?
If you hand load I would think that the handloader good make up a load, even in 2 3/4 ". What do you think?

Posts: 57 | Location: Northern NY | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DICKY1:
Why can't a 12 gauge be good enough for turkey?
If you hand load I would think that the handloader good make up a load, even in 2 3/4 ". What do you think?

I think the 12 gauge sxs I bought when I was a teenager in the 1960's has killed enough turkeys that I wont be running out buying an expensive specialized turkey gun.

Posts: 4150 | Location: Adirondack Mountains, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Dicky-----Your 12 guage is plenty of gun. They make 2 3/4" turkey loads. Some have 1 3/4 oz of shot----most have 1 5/8 oz. I use an 870 with a standard full choke & have killed gobblers out to 40 yards. It is the gun I bought when I was in high school back in the early 70's.

I have killed birds with both 4's & 6's. Right now I'm using up my old lead duck loads----1 1/2 oz of #4's-----Federal Baby Mags--2 3/4".

You sure don't need a 3 1/2" or even a 3". CB

Posts: 599 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DICKY1
posted Hide Post
Boy, am I glad to here you guys say these things it's going to help with a lot of arguing. Seems there are a lot of guys out there that think they need at least a 3" and really think they should have a 3 1/2".

Posts: 57 | Location: Northern NY | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
I have used a Winchester 1897 made in 1940 to kill quite a few turkeys. It has 28" full choke factory barrel and has killed them out to 53 yards. I have used standard pheasant loads and 2-3/4" turkey loads in this gun but my preference is heavy pheasant loads, usually in 6 or 5 shot. They are a lot cheaper than the 2-3/4" turkey loads and have great pattern density.

I do have a Rem 870 with a 3" chamber that I will use in foul weather or if I am doing a stalk and can expect to do some belly crawling. No sense in dragging a nice old winchester through dirt, mud and wet grass!

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DICKY1:
Boy, am I glad to here you guys say these things it's going to help with a lot of arguing. Seems there are a lot of guys out there that think they need at least a 3" and really think they should have a 3 1/2".

I hear the same stuff where I'm at and in the next breath these guys tell you they call their birds in close enough to strangle with their boot laces.

Posts: 4150 | Location: Adirondack Mountains, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed turkeys with a 12ga 3", many more with a 2 3/4", a 20ga 3" and 2 3/4", and even with a 28ga.

I use mostly #6, sometimes #5's.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
My kids all use 20's.

Take your 12 out and kill with confidence. Just shoot it at some paper and know the gun's limitations.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's about how far you want to reliably/consitanly/effectively/100% kill turkeys.

To me, a good 12ga 2 3/4" 1 1/2 oz buffered load of lead #5s (like Win XX Mag) through a good full choke will probably get that done to about 40 yards. Yes, smaller loads and pellets will do it to but you will probably need to reduce your range.

I usually shoot 12ga 3" shells but both my son and I have shot many with 20ga and 16ga guns.

To me, turkey hunting is about calling the birds and getting them close, like 30 yards, where most shotguns will do the deed if you do your part and put the pattern where it counts. Firepower is no substitue for being a skilled hunter or good shot!!!

However, just because someone kills one at extreme range (the lucky pellet) doesn't mean we should start blasting at turkeys at longer distances with smaller loads or pellets just to prove we can kill SOME at longer ranges.

Just pattern to find out what your gun can do and hold your shots to within it's proven capabilities and you'll be fine.

Good luck.

Posts: 61 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 16 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've killed turkeys with all 3 lengths of 12-guauge shells...not a whole lot of difference. However, the gun I always carry has a 3.5" chamber so when I'm seriously hunting turkeys, guess what kind of shell I use? 3.5"...don't feel undergunned with 3"s, tho, and with 2.75" shells, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable taking a shot with them out to 35 yards for sure, might be able to stretch it to 40 yards, too, which is what turkey hunting is always about.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote