THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    How do I take the barrel off of an Ithaca Model 37
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I take the barrel off of an Ithaca Model 37
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have one that was left to me by my stepdad and I haven't owned one in the past. I want to use it for migratory birds but the plug has been taken out and it holds 4 in the magazine. I have scratched my head raw trying to figure this out, PLEASE HELP me retain the rest of my hair.

Thanks
Dennis

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some are not removable. I hope someone else will shed some real light here for you, but in the interim, I know at least some Ithaca models do not have removable barrels and so, Don't Force It.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is about what I have decided on this one. If it is removeable I can't figure it out. I haven't forced it, that is why I posted this.

posted Hide Post
Just a thought...on the ones I had, the magazine cap screwed clockwise as if you were screwing it on tighter. This unlocked the barrel, and barrel turned 1/2 turn and came off. Been 10 years since I had one, but both of them I had came apart this way. Good luck!

Posts: 18 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, unscrew the magazine cap just like 870 Rem and Browning BPS. Btw, my magazine filler plug was a stick of wood nested inside the spring.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Open the action, screw the knerled cap on the magazine down clockwise, turn the barrel counterclockwise and remove it.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have screwed knurled nut down and opened the action but there is a band on the bottom of the barrel that goes around the magazine tube that had a screw through it that clamps on the magazine tube. I loosened the band also but the barrel still won't come off. This is a Featherweight model if that makes any difference.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
If it is a slug gun,(deer slayer)rifled barrel, some of the barrels we put on at the factory with loc tite. The loctite must be heated to 500 degrees to remove the barrel. The factory doesnt want you to remove the barrel.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
At the end of the Magazine tube, there should be a knurled "cap" with indentations aournd the top of it. You just turn the cap clockwise, the cap will turn down, which will allow the lug on the barrel to clear the cap, turning the barrel counter clockwise. A quarter turn of the barrel will allow you to pull the barrel out of the reciever. The band that is attached to the magazine tube only supports the barrel, but normally isn't attached to the barrel. I am not familiar with the slug guns, but any other Ithica barrel should come off this way.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
http://www.ithacagun.com/support/manuals/ You can find the complete parts and takedown info here. M37 field maintenance instructions.On page 9 the show a photo of the yoke being driven towards the receiver with a wooden dowel. I never had to do this with my M37. It does say info is for older models of the m37 hope this helps.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
From the Cabela's catalog- Ithaca factory replacement barrels. - Barrels fit all guns with a serial number ABOVE 855,000. If you have more questions e-mail Ithaca, they have 3 e-mail addresses on there web site. The barrel band/yoke, when removing take out the screw before driving yoke towards the receiver.If that is how the barrel is removed?????? good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a rag, wrap around the knurled part, then take hold of knob with channel lock pliers.The rag protects the blueing.Had to do this to the feather weight my dad gave me.he bought new in the '70's.I have the vent-rib barrel.Ithaca's are great, we have 3 between us.

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted Hide Post
First, ensure the shotgun is unloaded, and open the action. Using the above suggestion, you must tighten the end cap of the magazine tube. Turn it clockwise like you're screwing on the top of a soda bottle and the magazine tube is the bottle itself. Then grip the barrel and rotate it 90 degrees. It should then be able to be pulled straight forward out of the receiver.

The end of the magazine cap has a small button on it that when the barrel is in place and the cap is backed out, it engages the hole in the tang on the underside of the barrel. Instead of tightening the barrel down like a Remington, this setup actually pulls on the barrel holding it in place in tension.

Posts: 179 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote