New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has Bismuth Changed?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recall when Bismuth was first introduced it was quite brittle and often broke earning a bad reputation. I see RIO is now loading Bismuth. Is it an alloy of different proportions? I'd like to try some as I can purchase 25rnd boxes for the same price as 10rnd boxes of Hevi-shot.

Anyone have experience with Rio bismuth?

Thanks

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It has changed and it is not as brittle as it used to be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK. Thanks.

I'm gonna try some on Teal.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In addition, Rio shells, now manufactured in Marshall, TEXAS actively support Delta Waterfowl, one of my favorite hunting organizations, of which I am proud to be a life member.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIOs didn't arrive in time for my Monday morning hunt, so I had to throw Hevi-Shot from my 16ga Citori at the Teal. I was very happy with the performance of my shooting, my choice of chokes and the 1-1/4oz #6. Five of us got our limit of 6 birds each in 1 hour! It was amazing. I am going back on Friday to do it again. My RIO should be here by then....They are 28ga.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Andy, teal with a 28 really sounds like the bees' knees! Go get 'em!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

Bill,

I sure hope so. Shots were all pretty close on Monday. The birds will have had almost a week to "rest" without being hunted. It will be opening day for Texas south zone doves and I'll be hunting them in the afternoon. I don't think Bismuth is hard enough to warrant different tubes and I was going to use the same chokes for the Teal I normally use for doves. However, I wonder if I should create denser patterns for the larger birds? The only RIO Bismuth I could get is #7? Lt-Mod bottom and Imp-Mod top?

I might even get adventurous and try 28ga on Sandhill cranes. The ones I shot in January were not more than 10yds away. A couple of them much closer. I might use more constrictive chokes than usual. When I dove hunt, I like IC bottom, Lt-Mod top with lead shot. To produce similar patterns with Hevi-shot, when shooting larger bore shotguns, I go to Skeet bottom and IC top. 3/4oz Crane loads with the 28ga, I'll likely shoot Hevi-shot with Lt-Mod bottom and Imp-Mod top.

I just about had a nervous breakdown a few years ago playing the choke-tube game with all the loads I had for all the shotguns that have interchangeable choke tubes. I discovered more often than not, less choke is usually more than sufficient. I also like the in-between constrictions: Skeet, Lt-Mod, and Imp-Mod. I think I am doing it again..........

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
RIOs didn't arrive in time for my Monday morning hunt, so I had to throw Hevi-Shot from my 16ga Citori at the Teal

Hevi shot kills like wild fire if one can afford it.

What does RIO Bismuth cost now days.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hevi=$35/10rnds. Bismuth=$35/25rnds.
I like Hevi. That stuff needs little choke to turn in impressive patterns. But damnit man is it expensive.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ammo has arrived! I can't wait to go smash Teal with a 28ga!

Maybe NV Guide will chime in with some advice on 28ga. I know he likes them a bunch.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

It was! The RIO #7 Bismuth didn't even phase them. The Hevi Duck load-3/4oz #6 @1300 was like lightening. Two Blue-Winged Teal with one pill each. My new ducks over deeks shooting iron is a 28ga Cynergy Sporting!

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member