New
Find
Notify
Tools

chokes for buck shot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys, I've just been given some SG/oo buck shells 12g. I would really like to use them for fox shooting but they are no good for targets more than 15/20 yards away as the pattern opens up too much.

Are there any after markrt chokes that would tighten the pattern enough to be lethal on foxes at 30+ yards. And what sort of constriction should I be looking for.

Is it even possible ?

Any advice anyone has would be appreciated.

Leeboy

Posts: 26 | Location: Hampshire UK | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have interchangeable chokes start out with the most open then go to tighter chokes till you get what you want.The myth is that you have to use IC or IM chokes .With any shotgun load ,always pattern your load !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Throw the OO away and buy some #4 or #1 buck, and try 6 pattern shots at individual targets. Target needs to be 1 yard X 1 yard and with a fullcross at a distace of 30 yards, which should be your maximum range anyway.
There is not enough OO to reliably pattern whereas the #4 buck and #1 will, sort of.
Foxes are easy to kill.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leeboy:
Hi guys, I've just been given some SG/oo buck shells 12g. I would really like to use them for fox shooting but they are no good for targets more than 15/20 yards away as the pattern opens up too much.

Are there any after markrt chokes that would tighten the pattern enough to be lethal on foxes at 30+ yards. And what sort of constriction should I be looking for.

Is it even possible ?

Any advice anyone has would be appreciated.

Leeboy
I saw a Win model 12 3 inch Duck which has a 30 inch full choke barrel that the previous owner fired some 00 buck thru on deer and geese he got them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies fellas. I've patterned with my standard chokes and the results aren't very good. IC is about best but still pretty poor past 20 yds. certainly not up to foxing unless its up close which is not going to happen often.

God only knows how people go about hunting deer with them. I'd consider it very irresponsible based on my experience.Certainly not humane past 15/20yds.

Ther must be a good use for oo buck other than bank jobs... just got to find out what.

Leeboy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
full to extra full turkey however 50 yards is pushing it.. the only thing I have ever seen pattern well is a browning 10g with a briley extra full choke.. shockingle patterns 3.5 inches at 50 yards... owned by a hog hunting client of mine....

Posts: 104 | Location: south of san antonio | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Leeboy, I shoot OO buck with a rhino .660 turkey choke with patterns that you can cover with your hand at 60 yards. I have found that the new winchester high velocity supreme work the best in my gun but they all do well enough to kill a fox at 60 yards. Look rhino up they are worth it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Rifleshooter, thanks for the tip. Will have a look at Rhino.

Regards
Leeboy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our Armorer has worked on various combinations w/ the 870 over the last several years. I just tested out one of his productions that he backbored and installed a Patternmaster choke using a batch of buckshot sent by Federal w/ their new "Flightcontrol" wad. At 25yds two shells of 00-Buck fired in three seconds would pattern about the size of an open hand onto a FBI Q target. I was very impressed w/ the performance for use in tactical situations on bad guys, but it would be near rifle like on moving game animals and the .33 caliber pellets would lose a large chunk of energy beyond approx. 40+ yards regardless how tight the pattern. #1 Buck being .30 caliber would lose more.

GVA