Find
Notify
Tools

point of aim
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have never owned a double of any kind. Now I am thinking
of getting one so I can have two different chokes at the same time. Wich is best? o/u or sxs.

Posts: 48 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This has been cussed and discussed in here several times. Do a search.

Very briefly, the O/U may have a slight aiming/pointing advantage with its single sighting plane but not enough to make a real difference in your choices for field shooting. If you are going to shoot clays competitively then you really need to consider only O/Us or semi-autos. Otherwise it is basically personal preference and which one you find that you like that is in your price range first. BTW, gun fit is much more important than the arrangement of the barrels.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you

Posts: 48 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pantywaists .....

You guys didn't try hard enough. My first shotgun was a Christmas bolt action Mossberg .410 single shot when I was 6 in 1955. I had been shooting the family .22 for several years (a well rusted Remington 510). I think I finally killed a dove flying with the .410 BUT that was after HOURS and DAYS of sitting under a tree near a telephone wire where they liked to land. They quit landing there after I killed all of them. Hey, this was an East Texas pioneer family, birds were food and you got them how you could as far as I knew. My ethics have improved with age.

Luckily, I shortly got a Browning Sweet 16 (when I was 9) that I could shoot MUCH better. How I managed to shoot that kicking SOB when I was that age is still a mystery? I guess when I was a kid I thought it was supposed to hurt when you shot a shotgun.

BTW, my first bird was a woodpecker that was pecking on the side of the house, driving my grandmother crazy. She covered one of my eyes with her hand so I could shoot it. Bam, and down he came. I was so young when I first started shooting that I couldn't close one eye (BTW turns out I had to, strongly left eye dominant and right handed). I was about 4.

My grandparents lived so far out in the country that I regularly practiced with the .22 by shooting the sycamore balls off the tree in the front yard for years.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ok, here goes again, nobodys is going to believe me again.. i dont know if it was my first bird or there abouts..certainly a loooong time ago. i had a pellet gun and i couldnt hit this big baby black bird in the tree up im gessing 15-25 feet.. i shot and it would move, or the wind would blow.. after shooting for some time i just climed up the tree and stabbed it.. i prowdly went home an told my mom of my wonderfull skills as a hunter,, she ran off into the bedroom crying.. one thing for sure, my female relationship skills havent changed much.. now that were on unblieveable stories, i went home to visit my parrents 10-15 years ago.. i took my trusty 20 gauge with cut off barrels to hunt pheasant.it fit in my suitcase on the train.. . my dad got me some shots on that cold very deep snow day.. i didnt get a thing, too far of shots for cylinder bore.and man i sure wasnt used to that awful raquet they make.. my dad saw a tail sticking out of a snow bank, he collects tails and pulled it out,, connected to a live flying rooster.. he killed it and we took it home.. (he didnt have a gun) and he did show up at the car with one with that story.. but hes not a liar so i belive it.. theres more to the story but i know im pressing my luck now.. dave..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ffffg and Gatogordo

I should have known better than to be trying to swap stories with a couple of Westerners! We Eastern tenderfoots just ain't in your league! Seriously, isn't it amazing what we remember from really early years? I bet if we pooled our stories and put them in a book, no one who never lived in the country would believe them.

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote