New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 870 customization!??
 Login/Join

<Made in Sweden>
posted
I just got my Remington 870 Express Magnum Synthetic from the dealer. I now have difficulty deciding what to do next with this "fungun"...
...I�ll mainly use it for "dirty jobs", wich in my world equals "search and destroy missions" on cats and dogs where these have had the chance to become more than a healthy population. It will also serve as a dispatcher of game that have had close encounters with cars and trucks, mainly badgers and roe. I also want the gun to serve as a firsthand choice around the house. I would appreciate your thoughts on what to install to make the gun more up to the task.
/Peter

<Dave McC>
posted
What you do next is shoot it,Peter. A stock, unaltered 870 is one heck of a tool for just about anything.

After running a case or six of shells through it, you'll have a better idea of just what the piece needs in order to do what you want, or to make it more suited to yourself.

HTH, Dave....

<Made in Sweden>
posted
I think you are very right about the 870 being a very effective tool for just about anything. I just installed a tac-star mag. extension that gives it 7+1 capacity! The only negative about it all is that I keep getting out of ammo!!! but it�s fun! The shotgun feels relatively balanced with the 26" barrels (not compared to a Perazzi or a Kemen, but still!!)
I am thinking of installing a leupold mount and to top it off with a Aimpoint XD. What do you think about that and other aiming-devices??

<chevota>
posted
Made in Sweden; did you get the 3" or 3-1/2" version?

I too posted some questions today; "Eyeing a 3-1/2" 870."

<Dave McC>
posted
OK, here's some facts and OPINIONS from a long time 870(Since around 1958) fan. Between personal and professional use(Retired CO, and firearms instructor), around 50K rounds through 870s.

Aiming devices make some sense when shooting slugs, but the bead setup works very well for wingshooting, vermin,HD and just plain fun shooting. Nothing is as fast, tho a Ghost Ring setup comes close in practiced hands.

Again, take some time and shoot it. Shoot it at clays, vermin, tin cans, whatever until it feels like a body part. Then, and ONLY then, can you make an INFORMED decision as to what you need for a given mission.

HTH....

The best accessory right now for you is ammo, lots of it. Trust me on this.

Rein in the urge to accessorize until you have some cases of ammo behind you.

On another BB, I challenged one and all to shoot against me and a close to stock 870, with whatever Loudenboomer Mag SP shotgun they had. No takers. Training and practice beat gimmicks every time.

Now, 2 of the 5 870s here have most of the bells, whistles, fender skirts and fuzzy dice. But, they got the addons and mods AFTER I had lots of range time in, and each one was chosen because it made the best sense there and then.

<Made in Sweden>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by chevota:
Made in Sweden; did you get the 3" or 3-1/2" version?

I too posted some questions today; "Eyeing a 3-1/2" 870."

I got the 3" version, as most of my hunting doesn�t involve tough game as geese and deer. I mainly use it on cats and things like that....

<Made in Sweden>
posted
Dave!
I guess you�re right about the practice-thing... I�ll wait with the Aimpoint (the Aimpoint CompML is fairly expensive so i don�t mind holding on to the money for something else to come along...), and buy some more ammo...
...I keep running dry on ammo with the new 7+1 tube!!

<chevota>
posted
If you got the 3" then you'll have to change your signature. [Wink]

<Dave McC>
posted
Good move, Peter. Here's a few tweaks I recommend for a new 870....

First, after making SURE it's empty and leaving the room where the ammo is, sit in front
of the TV for a half hour,racking it.When your arms get tired, switch hands.

Next, dissassemble until the action bars are removed from the mag tube. Go over the wear marks with a crockstick, fine hone, or Jeweler's rouge until they polish up nicely. Also hone off any flash on the edges and radius the bars very slightly. Clean off, re- lube and re-assemble. Rack and note how smoothly it pumps.

Pattern it and get the pattern centered over Point Of Aim by shimming the stock, if needed.
Old hulls, aluminum foil folded many times and toothpicks can go between the stock and receiver. To raise Point of Impact, put a shim at the bottom of the receiver and tighten the stock screw.

Now, it should shoot where you're looking, be more comfortable, and pump like you've had it for decades. Go shoot and enjoy....

<Made in Sweden>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by chevota:
If you got the 3" then you'll have to change your signature. [Wink]

Ten four on that!!

<Made in Sweden>
posted
Thanks Dave!
I really appreciate your knowledge in the Remington, I�m going home to do exactly what the doctor told me!! [Smile]

[ 08-20-2002, 13:36: Message edited by: Made in Sweden ]

<Dave McC>
posted
Your're very welcome, enjoy...