New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unusual Ithaca 37 Deerslayer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was going thru my safe and came upon my old slug gun. It's an Ithaca Deerslayer with a laminated stock. The unusual thing is that the barrel is a 10ga blank but bored and rifled to 12ga. It's like a bull-barrel slug gun. The barrel is screwed into the receiver for accuracy. I remember the last buck I took with it; a 9-point at 217 yards. This thing would shoot 1 1/2" groups with Winchester sabot slugs. Interesting piece.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, there is a Youtube video out there of a fellow shooting 2-3 in groups at 225 yds with a similar setup. No different than shooting big bore black powder.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll have to look it up. Maybe I'll clean it up and sell it....shots from the stands on my property are 40 yards or less.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Always wanted to mess with one of the rifled slug guns but never did, always having lived in rifle-hunt states. Talk about knockdown power!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, here's "the beast" :-)

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
What a tank barrel! Not a deerslayer II with the factory scope mount on the receiver? A real puzzler.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5098 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a rail I mounted. The receiver is drilled and tapped. It is a factory stock gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The southern half of MN is shotgun. I’ve never seen a shotgun like that one here…

I started my deer hunting by using my waterfowl gun with foster slugs. Never got a deer close enough to take a shot with that.

Brought a rifled shotgun and greatly improved my accuracy but still nothing to write home about. I killed a few deer with it, but finally went on a guided hunt to a rifle state…

The shotgun doesn’t have any real knockdown power- and its accuracy is lacking.

I’ve given up on the shotgun and went to pistol for deer locally. To me, it’s between the two choices. More accurate and better terminal effect than the shotgun, but no where near as easy to shoot accurately as the rifle.

The supposed reason for using shotguns is safety- they won’t hit a house in the background- less range.

We all know that’s a crock. It’s being safe, not which type of weapon.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I have a somewhat similar Ithaca slug gun. It's a Model 87. Walnut stock and standard weight rifled barrel. Like yours the barrel is permanently affixed to the receiver. Accuracy is good for a slug gun. Two inch groups at 100 yds. from a bench.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a company that did these conversions back in the late 80's early 90's.

Maybe I will think of it's name.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An anecdote on the model 37. Several years ago, I was in a gun store + the counter help was describing all the virtues of this 12 G. to a man of African descent. He really pressed the issue of the bottom shell ejection, to which this gent says, "So you mean that the empty shells stay in the car?" The clerk says quickly that he was sorry, but that one was already sold.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Eeker Eeker rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
There was a company that did these conversions back in the late 80's early 90's.

Tarhunt?

Posts: 1424 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

Tarhunt?

Just came across this thread. First thing I thought about was Tarhunt. Building accurate slug shot guns was a thing in the late 80s. Looks like they're still in business. Memory is they made heavy barreled bolt slug guns.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote