New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benelli vs. Franchi
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok - forgive the ignorance. I have not devoted much of my time to the study of shotguns.

What is the difference between the Franchi autos and the Benelli autos? They are on the same website - plus I see the Stoegers on the same website.

Appreciate the insight you can give.

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
All I can tell you is that I had a Franchi 20 ga. auto manufactured about 2001, and it was a lemon! it patterend a foot low and a foot left at 20 yards, and the charge handle would pop out at the most inoportune times.

I traded it in for a Franchi O/U 20 ga, and its a much better gun!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Franchi is owned by Benelli [I think ?] The auto on the website , 720, has the Benelli recoil system. I wonder if Franchi is a lower priced Benelli. I have an older Benelli and I've been very happy with it.

One of Us
Picture of Shukaree
posted Hide Post
The Benelli is the Toyota Corolla of the shotgunning realm,The M2 Super 90 will give you decades of good service with just a lil TLC.I have used a Stoeger for about 4 years with flawless performance, then the charging handle broke, when i let the action slide forward without an assist, they charged me $196 to replace it the gun only cos me $650.I have not used a Franchi so cannot offer an opinion.If money were no option i wld first get a Supersport(cos i like shiny stuff) then i wld get a M2 Super 90. id also keep a Stoeger again.
I currently use a Mossberg Maverick Pump with deadly effect.

To hunt, fish and tell only the truth.

Posts: 134 | Location: Brisbane Australia | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I only have a experience with the Franchi 48 and the Benelli Super 90. The Franchi is a recoil operated action. The kind with the long spring on the magazine tube and the barrel slides back into the receiver pushing the bolt back at each shot. Similar to a Browning A-5. The Benelli uses what they call an inertia action. I'm not 100% on the mechanics, but what I know is this: The firing of the shell unlocks the bolt and the recoil energy pushes the bolt back and cycles the action. A light spring in the stock pushes the bolt closed at the same time pushes a new shell into the chamber. There is something in the lock up the bolt I am leaving out, but it escapes me at the moment. It is a very simple action compared to gas or recoil operated ones thus its ability to feed low or high brass shell interchangably.
Mine has never failed to cycle anything I put thru it except on some shells that had gotten wet. It has been used and abused and keeps on trucking.
A lot of older guys I hunt with use the Fanchi 48 for dove and rabbit because they are very lightweight. I had no problems with mine that I can recall. Like all recoil operated shotguns they need to be kept clean to function reliably.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
benelli does not own franchi but has easier customer service the franchi come in through benelli usa

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a number of Benellis and one Franchi. And have handled more of both. I think the Benelli quality is clearly ahead of Franchi.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned 3 Franchi 48as and think they are great. With a chrome lined barrel and alloy receiver you have min maintence issues. The mag cut off is a great plus even better than an auto 5.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote