New
Find
Notify
Tools

AA12R or AA12R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok, you've come into a supply of original Winchester AA12R wads, now the question is
which version of the AA12R wad do you have.

The AA12R wad was introduced to the consumer reloading market in the 1960's for one and one eighth ounce loads in High Base Wad hulls, which were quite common in that era. Later load data was introduced for heavier payload use in Low Base Wad hulls. Along the way the AA12R wad was substantially changed without any change in nomenclature.

The original AA12R wad had an overall length of approximately 1.50 inches. Around 1969 a new shorter version of the AA12R replaced the original. This new AA12R was approximately 1.360" long. It was some time before all loading data sources were updated for the "new AA12R" version. One of the most obvious problems arising from this situation involved using data developed for the long version were assembled with the new shorter wad. Most of these involved "blooper" loads, due to incomplete powder ingnition, when dense ball powder - heavy weight shotloads were assembled in Winchester compression formed hulls.

Bottom line, if you run into new-old stock AA12R wads, check the wad length before using these! And please note, there were data sources published long after the wad length change that still contained load data for the older longer length version.

Posts: 106 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 10 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geesh, do you really expect to run into a supply of pre-1969 wads? I don't doubt the accuracy of your statements, but for as long as I've been reloading shotguns, which goes back about 45 years, the AA Red has been a high lead volume shotshell wad, coming into it's own with 1 3/8 oz loads in AA hulls. I've shot thousands of them.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is amazing what turns up at estate sales!

Posts: 106 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 10 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But, really, so what? Any shotgun reloader would almost certainly recognize the differences immediately. If not, the first reload would tell him when it didn't crimp fully.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote