New
Find
Notify
Tools

four barrel drilling - Legal?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently saw a old drilling that had four barrels. I'm wondering if such a gun would be legal for hunting birds - since the law says the gun must be limited in capacity to three shells. I'd guess that a normal game warden would not have a problem with it- but not all game wardens are "normal".

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As stated the game warden may not be "normal" and if it states 3 and you have 4 he could make an issue over that, know some who would do that if they have the opportunity. State owned farm in my area is open for dove hunting late summer early fall and fellow using side by side was asked by young officer to open his shotgun to see how many rounds he had in the gun, seriously!! Same officer checking license asked one of our party to show his license to verify his claim for old enough to not be required to have a license and he showed him his drivers license and just a few days before his 101 year birthday had occurred. After 65 no license is required here and the elderly gentleman asked the officer if he thought he was old enough to qualify.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your gun isn't a drilling...its a "Vierling" which is the German term for a four barreled gun. They usually have two shotgun barrels and a larger and smaller rifle barrel. They're usually a bit heavu for bird hunting.

Posts: 1314 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I don't know the official German name for the quad barrel shotgun- my question is: would it be legal to hunt for game where there is a capacity limit of 3 shells, even if I only loaded 3 in it?

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They might ask you to take out one of the firing pins !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt you would even be asked if the gun looks like a 'double'. Only once in my life have I been asked to break a gun open and it was by a very cute young lady 'intern'. The old guy that was with her just stood back and watched as she checked my license, etc. It was all he could do to keep a straight face as she asked me to show her that my o/u would not hold more than 3 shells. When she was done the old guy and I about laughed our asses off; she had not a clue what we were laughing at.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Short answer, no it is not legal.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I guess you could stick a wooden dowel in one barrel and "plug" it like a pump or semi auto shotgun.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:

I don't know the official German name for the quad barrel shotgun- my question is: would it be legal to hunt for game where there is a capacity limit of 3 shells, even if I only loaded 3 in it?

The man is trying to teach you correct terminology and you act like he's pissing in your post toasties. Geesh!

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

The man is trying to teach you correct terminology and you act like he's pissing in your post toasties. Geesh!

Welcome to AR, name of the game.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:

The correct name is indeed Vierling though the Italians refer to them as Quattrocanne. I think the only way to get an answer on using it to hunt where the limit is 3 shells is to ask the state wildlife commission.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Quattrocanne four cannons or four barrels.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The safest way would be to contact your state's divison of wildlife's head law enforcement officer and ask that question. Two years ago there were questions about how legal it was to use a drilling (3 barrels -2 shotgun & 1 rifle) for hunting deer during the open season. Some wildlife officers said it would not be legal even if no ammo was carried which was not the caliber allowed.
A quick contact to the Ohio Division of Wildlife's chief law enforcement officer quickly revealed it was legal to carry a drilling when hunting as long as the rifle caliber was legal for deer, if not it was still legal if no rifle ammo was carried.
He then sent a memo to all 5 district law enforcement supervisors telling them to advise all wildlife officers.
Make the contact- some officers may not know what a drilling or vierling is.
Jim

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The three shot capacity is a Federal regulation that applies to migratory birds. They cannot legally be shot with a rifle in most instances, so a drilling could be considered an illegal weapon even in the absence of ammunition.

Putting a dowel in the barrel of a 4 barrel shotgun wouldn't solve the problem since it wound be acting the same as a "plug".

For a plug to be legal, it must not be removeable without some "dissassembly" of the gun

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote