Find
Notify
Tools

28 gauge 3" shells
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted
hello-has anyone seen these? do they still make them, nad if so where can you find them?

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Still? To my knowledge they have never been made. Shorter than 2 3/4, yes, but longer -- I don't think so.

However, I'll be pleased to be corrected if someone has knowledge of such.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have a Spanish SxS so chambered but I've never seen a 28 gauge 3" cartridge. Why I'd need one I've yet to figure out. After all, if I need a larger payload than a normal 28 ga. offers I'm happy to grab a 20 or a 16.

Much to my astonishment as I digested the enclosed paperwork after the purchase - found the Diarms 28 gauge SxS was chambered for 28/76mm (3") cartridges.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerry,

Thanks for posting! I have never before seen reference to a 3" chamber in a 28 gauge. I wonder if you've ever tried measuring the chamber to see if it actually matches the paperwork? Or could the paperwork simply be in error? Interesting!

Like you, it seems to me that a 3" shell in a 28 gauge would be somewhat at cross purposes with the gauge. After all, you can squeeze a respectable 1-oz load into a 2 3/4" 28 gauge shell (although I don't see the point in that, either). Everything I'm going to shoot at with a 28 easily succumbs to a 3/4 oz load.

Which reminds me: When you venture Stateside for one of your varmint shooting sessions, you should schedule it for September and also take in some mourning dove shooting. If you haven't tried them, the speedy little buggers are marvelous dodgers and divers that make for wonderful wingshooting.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonie,

Nah, I've never dwelled inside the chambers to see what it's really chambered as. Regardless of it's chambers it's choked right for a 28 ga. Improved Cylinder in the right barrel & Modified in the left - perfect for this cartridge.

I've shot plenty of Winchester 3/4 Oz. #6's at European Wood Pigeons (easily 4 times the size of a White-Winged or Collared Doves) and a 28 ga. handles that task easily on birds up to that size, for sure. I don't know why folks insist on stressing themselves and their shotguns with huge doses of shot. Don't want to go down the Goose & Crane road thogh - those birds do take some killing, sometimes.....

Like yourself I don't overstoke shotgun shells - there are just too many options available today IMO; so why attempt to stuff a bunch of shot into a load than can be handled easier by a step-up in gauge?

I shoot alot of International Trap & Skeet and we're restricted to 24 gramm (factory ammunition only) loads (13/16 Oz.). We whack clays at speed and distances with 24 gramm 12 gauge loads that are just a smidgen above the payload of a 28 ga. 3/4 Oz. load anyway.

When I was a young LT in the Army (once upon a time.....long ago) I used to cut out wads from cardboard & cork gasket material with a hammer & sharpened piece of pipe to drop into the shotcups to make 1, 15/16 & 3/4 Oz. 12 ga. loads. Today you coulda called me ahead of my time but back then I simply couldn't afford anything else; had to make a bag of shot last a long time (and I was shooting re-claimed shot, too!) . I was still in the upward learning curve (the initial 100,000 shotgun shells) in attempting to become a proficient shotgunner.

I love shooting Doves; some call it Dove Hunting but I consider it Dove Shooting - like PD's. In SD they kept asking us if we were there PD Hunting - well O.K.; whatever in a term but I rather consider it Shooting - ain't too much hunting involved.

When we go to Spain & Mallorca I go to the local, outa the way Clay Ranges where we "Shoota de Pee-jon" (Banded Pigeons). Right smart sport that is but we'll save that story for another time and a cold libation.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those wood pigeons look like they would provide you with a fine time. But I would guess our mourning doves are more unpredictable in their flight, thus making them very sporting targets. If you haven't "hunted" them, you must give them a try.

I load my 28's with a rather anemic chrage of Unique under 3/4 oz of #8s or #9s. They will drop a mourning dove as well as any "high brass" 12 guage -- all you have to do is point the gun in the right place. I have used a few #6's, and while the patterns are theoretically pretty thin with only 3/4 oz of shot, I don't find too many birds "flying through" the patterns -- again, when the gun is pointed where it should be. I suspect the 6's would be much more effective on the big wood pigeons than the smaller shot.

It seems that we've hijacked this thread, but I suppose as long as we interject "28 guage" somewhere in our ramblings we're still on the subject Smiler.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rudy Etchen, a now deceased acquaintance-friend of mine, who was widely considered to be one of the finest shotgun shots in the world for many years, told me over dinner and drinks that he considered the wood pigeon to be the most difficult target of all the live birds he ever hunted. I haven't had the pleasure of hunting wood pigeons but I personally would put my money on some of the rock pigeons I shot AT in South Africa. I didn't think there was anything that flew in range that I couldn't run 50% or so on at least. I think I might have killed 2 or 3 rockies with my first box. It was challenging, to say the least. Frowner

Just so I'll stay on topic, I remember one time Rudy came out to our gun club (Shreveport, La) with a few boxes of shortened hand loaded 28 ga. They were 2 1/4 inch and I think had a 1/2 ounce of shot in them. He mentioned they were loaded by a friend of his and they had to watch the pressures because of the shortened case. They were kind of cute. Unfortunately I don't recall what he shot them in. He was always dragging some old used gun around like a Purdey or a beat up Parker or similar. But when the chips were down, he shot an 870 at trap.

I've never seen a 3 inch 28 ga shell that I recall. The 3/4 ounce load is really well balanced for those who like to shoot such wands (that one's for Stonecreek Smiler). It is a fun gun, I've killed several limits of doves with them on a old well site that is on some property I own. I have to be kind of careful tho, those wires are getting kind of fragile....... clap

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that one of the major charms of the 28ga. and the 16ga. is the fact that they have never been comercially loaded in magnum or 3" shells. Both are well rounded loads that no one seems to find the need to "hot rod".

If you find the need for more payload than your 28ga. then just grab the 20ga. sitting next to it. The same goes for the 16ga. Every body has a 12ga. sitting in the safe or closet.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke!!!! shame

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I load my 28's with a rather anemic chrage of Unique under 3/4 oz of #8s or #9s.

Stonie,

That's right were I live, too; 'cept it's 7 1/2's & 9's.

I've experienced a coupla "Opening Days" at Mourning Doves in Florida, Hawaii & Arizona; they are quite challenging targets.

quote:
I have to be kind of careful tho, those wires are getting kind of fragile....... clap

Gato,

I'm giggling.....

quote:
t seems to me that one of the major charms of the 28ga. and the 16ga. is the fact that they have never been comercially loaded in magnum or 3" shells. Both are well rounded loads that no one seems to find the need to "hot rod".

Mort,

Couldn't agree more.

We're on target here I think I mentioned 3" 28 ga.

Cheers,

Number 10