Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester platinum partitions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey all,
Finally found a great shooting slug that combines great energy with great accuracy. I've shot alot of slugs in the past years looking for that sweet spot, I was hoping that the partition golds would work out, but they did not.Great energy, poor accuracy. The lightfields are tack drivers, but are lacking energy in my
opinion/estimation. Well I took the plunge and dropped 40.00
on the platinums, and am glad I did.
Anyone else gearing up for slug season?
Trigger

Posts: 271 | Location: ALBANY,NY,USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell me more about these partition platinum slugs. Are they for 12g? Are they available as reloadable components? What shape are they? Are they the saboted ones which need rifling to work?

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cr500,
They are produced for 12 ga. as well as 20 ga. They are a sabot which is designed to be fired out of a rifled barrel.
I doubt that there are reloading components out there for it, but i've been wrong before.
They produce quite the wallop on both ends, but accuracy in my Ithica model 37 is phenomenal with them.
Trigger

Posts: 271 | Location: ALBANY,NY,USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with the Federal Premiums with the Barnes expander bullets. I am consistently getting under 2 inch groups at 100 yds out of my 870 cantilever with 6x burris compact. The only other slug that shot well for me where the standard Winchester slugs. I had some issues with them though as they did not expand on deer. Just made a little hole in and out. Always seemed to have to track them a long way. That has not been the case with the Federal/Barnes.

Posts: 725 | Location: Upstate Rural NY | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the barnes expanders, and wanted them to shoot, but my gun just does'nt like them.
Happy hunting,
Trigger

one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted Hide Post
Hey Trigger, how's the weather down there?

I've shot a few of those premium types and have settled on the Winchester foster slugs out of a smoothie Ithaca. I've never shot past 49 yards at a deer, and inside of 50 yards I don't think you can hit a deer harder than with a 1600 fps piece of lead. If you want harder hits, use that .416 of yours!

Posts: 179 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Taurus Bill,
Weather was great. Heading back down after christmas. Glad to be home though. I don't think the local authorities would approve of the 416.
How'd duck season treat you?
Trigger