New
Find
Notify
Tools

Francotte Choke
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought this Francotte double and I am puzzled by the choke designations on the underside of the barrels. On one barrel, it says "18.3 (a star over an S turned sideways) CHOKE 18.2". On the other, it says "18.4 (a star over an S turned sideways) CHOKE 18.3". Does this mean that one bore is 18.3 mm and the other is 18.4 mm, both having 0.1 mm choke restrictions? Has anyone seen a forend like this?

Thanks!

Posts: 99 | Location: Clovis, CA | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds right, pretty light choke. You are in Clovis? I haven't been there in a really long time, used to have some pretty good dove hunting around there.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just did the math, that would a really tight bore, maybe that is just the choke dimension? Time to get out the bore gauge.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I posted my questions about this shotgun on Shotgunworld and just got a response confirming my suspicion. Apparently, European shotguns can have bores smaller than what is considered normal in the US. So, this 12 gauge has bores that are 18.3 mm (0.720 in) and 18.4 mm (0.724 in) and each bore has a 0.1 mm (0.004 in) choke constriction which, I think, means that this shotgun is choked skeet/skeet. It will be interesting to see how it patterns.

Not much dove hunting close in to Clovis these days. The town is built out fairly well. You have to go east of Academy and north of Shepard to get past the development. Few will let hunters onto private land and fewer still will put up with shooting noises. We will go out to the Mendota Refuge or to friends' land in the sticks.

Posts: 99 | Location: Clovis, CA | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used to hunt by a little (at the time) town of Orange Cove. Hunted ducks down around Wasco. That was a long time ago.
C.G.B.