New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early Fox Model B question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Our shop just received an early Mdl B for total re-finish. It is exquisitely engraved on the receiver, trigger guard and barrel breeches as well as the fore end iron and latch. This engraving appears to be nickle plated. Adjacent un-engraved metal has faded color case. Can anyone tell me if this was a factory feature or was it aftermarket? We are trying to figure out how to have it restored.

Thanks,

BOb

Posts: 3685 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you mean a savage fox model B.

As far as I know they were case color as far as being exquisitely engraved from the factory unlikely.

A picture would sure help

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No Savage stampings. Only 1906 patent stamp for Fox. I'll work on getting some pics up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
could it be a B grade instead of a model B

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I get back to work Wednesday I'll check.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to pics of the early and the late A H Fox styles of 'B grade' engraving'
http://www.foxcollectors.com/a.../content/be_fox.html
The frames were both finished in case colors. The earliest done w/bone char. The late style done with cyanide case hardening colors.
The two processes have very different looks. But both have/had a tendency to wear the colors from the metal w/use and the hard surface would burnish to a bright polish often looking like a (nickel) plated finish at times.

Smaller parts like the trigger guards, top levers and forend irons are found in both case colored and blued thru the production. Serious collectors like those on the Fox forum could probably tell you what era or ser# range the guns had those parts blued or c/colored.

The bbls should have 'A H Fox" and either 'Phila. PA' or 'Utica NY' on the top of the tubes back by the breech depending on the era of mfg.
An early AHFox would be a Philadelphia mfg of course.

The Savage/Fox Model B is a 'FOX' shotgun in name only. Savage having bought out the old AHFox Co.

The Model B is closer to the Stevens/Springfield 311 than anything else on the inside. Not a bad gun but a utility and nothing mechanicaly close to the orig AH Fox.
The Model B was also Case Color Hardened when first offered. No engraving other than a simple line drawing on the sides of a dog or bird,,if that. Usually machine imprinted/roll marked.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are spot on sir. I misrepresented the gun as a Fox B, It is actually an A.H.Fox B grade. The engraving is far more elaborate than the attachment, but similar. Several detailed engravings of quail and many deep floral flourishes. Thank you for the observation of the case fading to a nickle shade. We will send the receiver off for color case. The barrels were moderately pitted by hand contact around both sides of the hand-guard. Yesterday I draw-filed and polished them without affecting the engraving or stamps. I'll be rust blueing them. The hand-guard appears to be original and a fancy grade of walnut with fine checkering. The butt-stock appears to be a replacement of plain straight grain walnut with coarse checkering. It has been re-finished and a recoil pad fitted. Over sanded as the metal is proud of the wood in most areas. An eighth of an inch of epoxy bedding between the stock and receiver. Me thinks a new butt-stock is in order.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Customer will not pay for new butt stock. Wants current repaired. Looks like a job for epoxy bed and faux graining.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
Customer will not pay for new butt stock. Wants current repaired. Looks like a job for epoxy bed and faux graining.

What shame for such a nice gun