New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun for 11 year old
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My son has grown out of his Mossberg 20g pump Youth Model. We're looking at replacing it ... but with what?

An obvious "good gun" is the Remington 870 Wingmaster. But I'm interested in other opinions. The gun would have to be an "all-around" gun ... clay pigeons, upland game, turkeys.

Any action would be considered, but I have a bias against semi-autos for kids. I have a bias for double-barrels ... if I can afford one. I'm definitely not in the Citori league.

So ... fire away.

Thanks in advance.

JGH

Posts: 143 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
new Moss o/u? cz-usa? Stoeger? Yildiz?

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Mossberg or CZ "low-end" O/U would be a thought. I like the break action for a kid because I can know, from a distance, if the gun is safe, at least if it's open.

Are the "low-end" O/U's and S/S's worth a look? Specifically Mossberg, CZ, and Remington/Spartan.

Posts: 143 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no first-hand experince here but have heard 3 out of 4 giving good marks to CZ. try a search on www.gunshop,com www.shotgunworld.com www.huntingnet.com Moss, Yildez, Stoeger have their supporters as well.

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
A used, base model Citori should be on your list. I bought my 12 year old one for $600 two years ago. He shoots darn well with it, and I know it will hold it's value. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I'm with Dutch on the Citori. You should be able to pick up a used one for a decent price.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
don't oveerlook the skb's....i picked up a nice 12 about a yr ago for $700... my 20 stainless has doubled in price (as seen in several ads) in the last 10 yrs..... i've seen also seen several charles daly's for around $4-500...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer
"One doesn't hunt to kill... but rather, one kills to have hunted."

I don't think that is attributable to Capstick, much as I admire him. I may be wrong but I believe it is from, MEDITATIONS ON HUNTING, Jose Ortega y Gasset Roll Eyes

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any action would be considered, but I have a bias against semi-autos for kids. I have a bias for double-barrels ... if I can afford one. I'm definitely not in the Citori league.

So ... fire away.

Thanks in advance.

JGH

I was a "kid" once, and the ticket then was a semi-auto 20 ga. (a High Standard Supermatic Trophy.) That, and a semi-auto 16 gauge is what I still do most of my hunting with.

A 20 ga. semi-auto (Browning Gold, etc.) is a wonderful gun. Your son will love the recoil reduction. As far as a "bias" against them, that is something I don't understand at all.

Gun handling both teaches and commands respect and responsibility. If your son is responsible enough to handle any firearm, he darn sure is responsible enough for a semi-auto.

Like to control or monitor things? Easy-- one shell in the gun at a time. Or two only, if you prefer-- that's all there will be on the skeet field, for sporting clays, and that is naturally the case with an O/U.

I grew up with A-5's, as did my brothers, my father, and my grandfather for that matter. I've had the good fortune to introduce many non-shooting, non-hunting families to shooting sports.

A 303 20 ga. or a B-80 20 ga. is what I start them off with-- and have for many years.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I grew up shooting a model 12 winchester 20ga,some 55+years ago and can still hold my own w/the best.I have several o/u in various gauges but my favorite shotgun is an 870 skeet in 28 gauge,for this youngster I would suggest an 870 in 20ga w/3inch chamber and rem/chokes.I think a pump will slow a youngster down enough to make him pay attention to shot selection and make him a good shot in the long run.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deertick,
Another high value and low cost used shotgun is a Miroku. You can also find it as a Daly Miroku. These are the same folks that build the Browning Citori. The early guns were identical to the first Citoris and are a great bargain today. I suspect that in the near future, folks will catch on and the supply will dry up.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I also think an over and under in 12 gauge is the perfect all-around shotgun. I've got a Browning Model 325 but a 425 or other similar model (Citori or Miroku for example)are great shotguns and allow you to get into the sporting clays or trap and skeet as well as hunting sports.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
the 870, 1100, 1187 or an O/U (Citori or SKB) are all sound investments. You can't wear them out. I would really encourage a 12 ga. no matter the format though. He has already grown out of the 20, so get him the shotgun of a lifetime. I still have my Browning A-5 that Dad gave me for Chirstmas my 12th year....that was 46 years ago.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well you have the best answer the 870 wingmaster.I love the ithaca 37 but i wouldn't buy a new one until i ween them and shot it only the experience of a neighbor bought a mod87 that is junk in my opinion.the mossberg 500 are an ok gun but the feel is not quite right to me and i have no experience at all with the browning pumps

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote