THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Re: Side by side reccomendation.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Side by side reccomendation.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Jumptrap, I bought a Bill Hanus AYA 20ga SS five years ago. It is by far the best gun I ever owned. The BBS SS is a an over priced piece of shit next to this gun. The BSS is one step above a Savage 311 that I use to own when I was sixteen. The BSS stock and barrels are too beefy for my taste. I also own a Midland in 12ga which is a great gun also. I love SS's.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chasseur:

Sorry to respond so tardily to your post.

The Fox was a classic "old" double. It had a splinter fore end and it took me several seasons to learn to simply clasp a few fingers around it. The L.C. Smith was made probably in the late '30s and I just loved that fore end (which was not even then anything like the "beavertail" fore ends that made over and unders so popular but was more "substantial" than the splinter fore end)

Your query left me thinking. The Fox was far superior in terms of stock wood and "appearance". I put that word in quotes to illustrate something that was always important to me in owning a firearm. The Fox (this one was 28" barrels)LOOKED expensive and I was proud to own it. I honestly don't remember which one worked best for me on ruffed grouse (my primary game bird) I have an impression today that it did as well for me on grouse as the L.C. Smith but I definitely remember that the L.C. Smith's fore end gave me a better feel of pointing and isn't that what it's all about? (At my age I may be confusing swinging on ducks (which I also hunted with both shotguns) where those high base loads make a difference and maybe a slightly firmer grip is needed on the fore end)

I guess, in the end, they both were great.

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote