New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fox / Savage Model B
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What's the deal with these shotguns? I know Savage bought out A.H. Fox in the early 20th century -- did they continue to make essentially the same gun and just call it a Savage, or is it but a dim recollection of it's Fox heritage? I'm having a hard time even finding a picture of one; I have seen and handled 311's, and don't find them particulary attractive. The most attractive old SXS guns I have seen are the Bakers -- beautiful simplicity.

FWIW, I have no interest in a SXS as a collector -- I am purely a nostalgia buff, and want a nice looking, classic old double. The gun I buy will be well taken care of, but also WELL used.

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Red Green>
posted
Todd,

I'm not particularly fond of the Savage Fox guns, but my father used a 16 gauge Sav. Fox that he bought new in 1956 or so with great success. He's also got one in 12 gauge and .410, the latter I bought for him as a birthday gift a few years ago.

While they're servicable guns, you'll find better quality guns out there...it just depends on what you're looking for. They're definitely not the quality that A.H. Fox doubles are, but in my limited experience with them, the early guns are better built and better looking than the later guns.

Personally, I'd continue to save and pick up an early (Philadelphia) A.H. Fox Sterlingworth if a Fox is what you're after.

Red

PS: After reading your other post vis-a-vis side-by-side shotguns, I recommend you read two books: Shotguns and Shooting by Michael McIntosh, and Lock, Stock and Barrel by Robert Braden and Cyril Adams. Good books both, and you can probably find them at your library.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response Red. I will look up those books. I finally had a good look at the Savage / Fox B (pictures actually) and wasn't that impressed.

You probably saw from my other post that I bought the Baker. Now, I would like to find another Batavia Leader w/ damascus barrels -- I love the look of damascus.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<gamecock>
posted
Todd: there's an article on the Fox Sterlingworth by McIntosh in latest "American Rifleman" you may find interresting. When Savage bought out A.H. Fox they continued the series until 1946, usually with "Fox Sterlingworth" imprinted on the action and Savage Arms on the barrels. Post war Savage/Fox Model B and the Stevens 311 clone were the somewhat ungainly guns sold into the late '80s. A very desirable Fox Sterlingworth/Savage is the 16 ga on the 20 ga frame.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glen is right the fox B's are stevens 31's with a littled better wood and finish. I have a 20 gage I brought new in 75 and shot around 6000 plus rds through it and it is still tight. It isn't as nice as some of my others but it keeps on going.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote