New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good cheap SxS double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It used to be you could pick up a used Stevens 311 for $50 and have a reliable SxS double.

Now, I see them starting around $200, and I'm guessing those are worn out guns or rescued from house fires. A lot of 311's come in around $250-400, so I assume this is the range of usable, non-collector guns that someone just wants the cash out of. That's also the price range of new Charles Daly and Stoeger coach guns.

I have no need for a reliable SxS double, but that has never stopped me from buying a gun before. All that's stopping me is the nagging suspicion that I'll find for $100 what I bought the day before for $300.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
Don't suppose you might be interested in a good old single barrel shotgun, would you???? I've got a 12 ga Stevens Mod 94C - I think - that sits, and sits, just gathering dust.
What would such a thing be worth??
Maybe by the time I pay to have it shipped and you pay to have it received we are speaking to more bucks than the gun is worth?
[Roll Eyes]
Regards

<ChuckD>
posted
Henry-I know of at least 2 solutions. Savage has introduced a new Stevens SXS--its a new gun so you will not have to worry about finding a used one cheaper--it just wouldn't be new! (Its made in Russia?!!!!) Another possibility is the Russian-made Baikal--these are built like a tank, and about as pretty--but it is new, and thus does not compare...see my "logic"? Chuck

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I bought a new CAI chineese import coach gun. The outside finish is fine, the inside is rough, but it is lots of fun to shoot and for only about $200 I think it was a deal. 20" 12ga 3" full choke, double trigger with hammers. Shot some informal clay pigeons with it and was easy to hit with.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got the opportunity to pick up a never been fired Savage 311. I'm not sure what the value is. The owner wants $300.00. The gun is in excellent condition but is pretty plain. I do not like the pistol grip stock. Could you re-stock these with a better grade wood and dress them up a little? What should I do?

Posts: 136 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Homebrew:

I would rate that as a decent buy, but not a steal. From my POV, I wouldn't restock it. If you want it, buy it because it is a good, serviceable, reasonably cheap, S xS shotgun for that price and that's all it will ever be. Unless you want to use it for the learning experience, buying better wood and either paying someone or restocking it yourself is pretty much like polishing a turd. It will still be what it is.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote