THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Sabot slugs vs. foster (rifled) slugs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sabot slugs vs. foster (rifled) slugs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering which one of these offers better accuracy: sabot slugs in a rifled barrel, or foster slugs in a smooth barrel? Obviously foster slugs are a good deal cheaper. I was wondering if that indicates poorer performance. Thanks.

Davis Goertzen

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't beat sabot slugs in a rifled barrel for accuracy ! The 'rifling' on a riflerd slug have nothing to do with spinning the slug.For a smooth barrel try different brands of slugs and experiment with chokes if the gun has interchangeable ones .The more open ones at least.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Foster slugs shoot at 2 1/2 inches at 100 yards out of my old Remington 48 smoothbore slug gun. In the rifled barrel of an 11-87 with scope, I got 1 inch groups out of the Remington 1 3/8 copper solids. Alas, they are long discontinued and I have but 8 left. The 1 once copper solids shoot at 2 1/2 inches at 100 yards with the same rifled barrel.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, thanks for the information. I'm asking because I'm thinking about getting a Mossberg 535 and am not quite sure whether or not to get the rifled barrel combo.

I just have a question: what is the "rifling" on foster slugs for, if not to spin the slug? Sort of couldn't follow that part. Thanks.

Davis Goertzen

<xs headspace>
posted
The rifling on the old foster slugs was mostly an advertising gimmick, but it did allow the slugs to pass through full choke barrels with minimum resistance. Somebody tested them for spin, once, and as I remember, they did spin, but something like one turn in 10 feet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sabots in rifled bore are more accurate but they are usually narrower (.50 vice .72) and frequently lighter than the full bore diameter Foster-style or the Brenneke originals intended for smoothbores.