New
Find
Notify
Tools

worldwide hunt questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have not done any bird hunting outside of the US yet. What type of gun makes the most sense to purchase for varied wingshooting in other countries? I would assume 12 gauge would be most available? Are semi-autos allowed in most countries or do most hunters travel with doubles? I think a pump would wear my arm out on some of those dove shoots. The same goes for opening and closing a double 500 times a day but at least that would slow down my shell consumption! At this point, I'm buying a Benelli SBE II with 26" barrel but I wonder if it is a good choice for all or most shooting locations?

Is there a good forum around for discussing worldwide wingshooting? What publication do you like that has lots of variety in the stories and locations covered? I pick up Shooting Sportsman every so often but is there a better one?

Thanks.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
Argentina two times first time with a 12 and a 20 gauge and second time with a 12 and 28. All have been over and unders with the 12's for waterfowl and pigeon and the 20/28's for dove etc. I have been well served by the over/unders (beretta's) but my friends have shot other autos and O/U's have also had great success. Take whatever fits you best and can take the abuse. Depending on where you go and what type of shooting you will do should dictate the action... Plus your prefernce. Have fun with getting a new shotgun and break it in at a clay range...

"Anything he did not accomplish as a pupil was my failing as a teacher" Max you will be missed Aug-02 1999; May 20, 2008

Posts: 119 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks HB. Tell me more about where you went in Argentina...same place or different? Are you going back? I have to admit that while I have travelled for big game I haven't for birds and I know I have been missing out on some great experiences.

One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
Both times with Marcelo Sodiro, South American Adventure Safaris, http://www.saadventuresafaris.com/
We hunted around the Rio Saluda area about 250 miles north of Buenos Aries. Waterfowl in the morning and the afternoons focused on dove, pigeon, Parakeet or partridge. It was a great hunt for a group of friends there were 6 of us the first time and 8 the second. Accomodations, food and quantity of birds were excellent. I have a group of friends heading to Uraguay this year for goose and duck hunt but I am passing to head back over to Africa next year. If you will be out at SCI Marcelo will have a booth at the convention and he also has donated a couple of hunts for the auction. I am sure there are many outfitters in SA that could also produce a simmilar hunt. Good luck with the choices and let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

"Anything he did not accomplish as a pupil was my failing as a teacher" Max you will be missed Aug-02 1999; May 20, 2008

Posts: 119 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you really want a shotgun that you can take any place the best gauge would be 12ga and it would almost have to be either an O/U or SxS as there are many places where pumps and/or auto-loaders are either illegal or not used by custom. Southern Africa is one place that comes to mind where pumps and semi-s are illegal.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent an email to SA Adventures. Thanks for the info. He was SCI PH of the year a few years back.

Thanks Bill for those comments. I knew that would be the case in some areas but didn't know where exactly. Seems to me that a double and a semi would cover most "needs" as it were. I like the AyA guns so maybe I will work my way in that direction if I go SxS. The OU realm is more difficult for me as there are many good options. That's what makes this fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yukon, I think I would look for barrel's longer than 26 inches. The gun may balance better for you and the addition length will probably not be problem.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
26" is the longest barrel length in camo I believe from Benelli. I would certainly look for longer in a double.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of places that will "dip" any part of your shotgun (or all of it) in a variety of camo patterns --- just like the factory camo.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
26" is the longest barrel length in camo I believe from Benelli. I would certainly look for longer in a double.

Drop a note to Juan Pozzi or Alberto Foerster in Argentina. Best hunts, best shotgun advice. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Yukon,

Any double that you can shoot well with will serve you around the world. The Argentinian volume shooting and some of the African volume shooting can be a different kettle of fish, so the advice to ask Juan or some of the other guids is very good as they see al the guns in action and which nes stand up to the abuse.

I've taken beretta and browning guns all over and they hadve served me well and my dad shoots exclusively with a 20b, (apart from geese) and generally outshoots anyone in the team with it.

The only other thing to keep in mind is that if you are looking to shoot any driven game in Europe or elsewhere in more formal circumstances then a camo shotgun may not be too well received.

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote