Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg Silver Reserve?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chris_Kenney
posted
Does anyone own a Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U? What do you think of it?

Posts: 120 | Location: Frisco, TX | Registered: 13 October 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Chris,
I have one. I bought it 2 years ago. They do have some quality control issues. The one I first brought home had a chamber rim issue that precluded accepting a shell in the lower barrel. I returned the gun. The 2nd one had a scale of rust the size of a pea bubbling up on the barrel. It hadn't been fully cleaned after bluing. The 3rd one was OK after I shaped and peened a dented choke tube leading edge. Zero for 3 on factory defects. However, I have used it without fail for upland bird hunting. The finish is showing some wear on the edges as it is thin. It fits me pretty good, swings good enough and has worked well for me. I prefer to forget the mishaps and just enjoy using the gun. I started using it with a very high energy young Brittany and didn't want a high value gun in the field with this circumstance. If I remember correctly, I paid some 480.00 for it, new, from Big 5 Sporting Goods. They are still priced there on sale this fall, periodically. I haven't had any rust problems on this gun. I sealed the inside of the forestock. The buttstock needs to be removed and the same done to it. I noticed that fit of the stock to the gun showed varying degrees of perfection during periods of rainy day hunts. Another project to do.
All in all, I am happy to use mine. I'd prefer a better piece, and one that would likely hold value better, but that wasn't in the cards this time. They are a low price gun and you get what you pay for, I guess. It always goes bang and hits where it is pointed.

Marv

Posts: 11 | Location: Northwest Washington State | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris_Kenney
posted Hide Post
Well hopefully I don't have the defect issues that you had. I am brand new to upland bird hunting so I did not want to drop $1000+ on a "good" shotgun until I decided whether or not I actually liked bird hunting. For me, as long as it goes bang and the birds fall from the sky, I am happy. Thanks for your views.

Posts: 120 | Location: Frisco, TX | Registered: 13 October 2007Reply With Quote