New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW sxs advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to buy a new sxs shotgun ,the features i would like are as follows ,double triggers ,ejectors ,multiple chokes and straight english style grip .I was thinking of paying around $2000. can anyone recommend something they are happy with ?or know is a good choice? thanks

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Athena D'Italia Side By Side is a new one offered by Weatherby, made in Italy!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Velodog. Are you sure you need the the multiple chokes? If so your range of options is signifcaly smaller... As mentioned by the previous poster the new Weatherby might be a good choice, but they are new so not too many have had practical experience with them. If you don't mind a single trigger there is both the Beretta and the Ruger Gold Label. I've heard good things abou the Beretta and they are supposed to be coming out with a double trigger version soon, and I heard that Rich Cole might be doing double triggers for them too (but I'm not sure).

If you don't mind fixed chokes a whole world opens up. Then it really depends on what you like: American classic, European etc. You can find some great deals on no-name Continental guild guns, and also some of the field grade American doubles (Fox Sterlingworth, etc).

Hope this helps!

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my personal opinion is for that money you can buy a fine 16 gauge used.. sure it will have fixed chokes but it will have double triggers.. so you can pick he choke you want.. instantly.. different shot types, and sizes can vary chokes considerably.. if your not sure, get a $300 sxs and start shooting.. no, it wont turn any heads at the gun club, but it will open up a whole world to you.. i have a rule that i cant always follow myself.. never buy a shot gun unless ive shot it at the trap club.. you know real quick if it fits you.. fit is more important than all the things youve mentioned above in your post.. the sad thing im learning about new sxs shooters is that they refuse to take the time to learn how to use double triggers.. it can take several years. to me it is the whole point of sxs double barrel guns.. is the bird going away, coming at your or a squirrel sitting in the tree.. the choke you need is instantly available to you... to use it properly you need to slide the hand on the stock to get proper pull on each trigger, but with time it happens automatically..
machines are building guns nowdays, they are mechanically fine but theyve lost the personal touch.. fit has been made for the average sizeed guy, with average weight, cheekbone etc.. shotgun impacts at 40 yards can be varied with handloading. the biggest problem with sxs guns is that they (Most) shoot low when you look down the rib.. the comb needs to be raised 1/4 to 1/2 inch to be on at 40 yards on most guns.. this seems to be an arguing point to most shotgunners until i finnally get them to a pattern board.. i have one sxs that i can trhow up to my face without buildup on the comb and hit on at 40 yards. a very nice drilling, and im very lucky to have it , and the icing is it fits.. my other guns need build up on the comb, and its pretty ugly covered with camo tape.. but shotgunning is about hitting the target, not having and expensive fancy looking gun that shoots 8 inches low at 40 yards.. alot of new side by sides dont shoot at matched impact points worth a darn by the way.. so pattern them before you buy... that is why to buy used..
plenty of used guns out there..they havent made a machine to match barrel impacts yet., it takes a gunsmith a lot of time to build one that does. these guns new are way over the cost your talking about.. id get an old lefever nitro barreld 12 or 20 gauge.. about 1920s-30s if you can find one.. no they will not shoot on and will have to have the comb raised. both barrels should shoot to the same impact tho.. but they cost about 250-300 dollars on the right day, they dont have ejectors but that is not what its all cracked u to be either, especially if you reload. most of your rounds will be shot at the gun club..
a used skb is about 500 dollars, and that would also be a fine gun for you..worth all of a new 2000 dollar gun in the field, better than alot of the new guns.. a new sxs made to fit you will be in the 3500-5000 dollar range, and if that is what you want i would save for it.. aky or some such makes a nice gun in that price range and they are what your talking about, ejectors but single trigger, double tiggers can be had tho in an option.. the main point is they can be fit you your needs special order.. look real hard at 16 gauge, especially for upland.. they have gotten a bad rap, but the sxs is perfect weight, handeling and recoil in a nice light 16... if you like to reload, an old 2 1/2 inch 16 can be had cheap becouse its short chambered..some are very, very fine guns, and could be worth as much as any gun at your club, including the perazzis, but cost much less , with much engraving.. .. dont change the chambers just reload for it.. with modern powders, and wads it will shoot very well and have plenty of power for pheasant etc...
the difference is the powder you use between the 16 and a 12.. if you using 1 1/8 once shot in a 16 you can use a slow burning powder and it doesnt recoil like the fast burning powders to achieve the same velocities in the 12.. so the 16 gauges precieved recoil is pleasant even in a ligher gun than the 12 both at 1150 -1200 fps..
a 12 wieghts alot more than a 16, and the 20 mag doesnt pattern as well as the 16.. its (16 sxs) the prefect upland gun.. dave..

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a really nice and classy shooter here's waht I would recommend. Go to the GunsAmerica site and look at the Fox shotguns. Buy a nice tight Sterlingworth....Send it to Briley and have a set of chokes installed....you will never regret doing this!

These guns are well known for their excellent handling (better than Parkers / 21s) superb reliability and are common enough to be very reasonably priced. They have excellent workmanship, and do everything a classic double should do, and do it well. And they are nice to look at!

For under 2000 you will have a timeless classic that will give you years of satisfaction!

No modern SxS in this price range will even come close!

I've got'em all and these early Foxes are the best shooters!

Thad Scott, Galazan and Barnett are good places to start...Haggle'em my boy, Haggle'em!

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Velodog, i think all of your questions will have allready been answered by some of the most knowlegeble sxs shooters on the internet at http://www.gunshop.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi ... dave

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
velodog,
The only shotgun that comes to mind that meets your requirements is a Huglu, also marketed by Mark DeHaan. Here is his web site. I am not particularly fond of them but the price is very reasonable, around $700 for what you want. The Huglu is basically the same gun but is imported by CZ USA.

If it were me, I would follow the advice in buying a good quality used side by side. If you want chokes you can do a lot better financially than Briley. I have been using Mike Orlen michael.orlen@verizon.net, he is less than half the cost of Briley, does very good work and you will have it back in 10 days or less. I had a .410 tube set fitted to a 20 gauge and Brileys promised 5 weeks ended up at 13. Mikes cost to install tubes in an O/U was $172 and that included 6 tubes. Brileys price was $350 with less tubes. A lot of double gun purists look down their noses at choke tubes in a SXS. It is your gun, don't worry about their personal bull shit. I happen to like IC/Mod for most of my shooting but it would be nice to be able to pop in skeet chokes for skeet shooting. I am rebuilding a 1920's Gosuin SXS and the barrels were filed for a fit at the muzzle contact points and it does not have the meat for tubes or I would be having them installed. I will have the Mod/Full opened to IC/MOD by Mike. I have shot a round of skeet with it and broke 22. The margin for error is just not there though to really enjoy it.

I would be very careful when choosing a used SXS. I have one I bought for a fixer upper for $225. I will have over $2000 in parts, repairs and a blank for a new stock when I am done. I could not sell it for that even giving away my stock labor as it is a "no name" maker.

The early SKB's are a good value, although you will be hard pressed to find one for the price mentioned. I think everyone has caught on to them. They make the Weatherby O/U's and are a very well made shotgun. Look for a model 100, 200 or 280. I bought a 280E, 20 gauge, in he early 70's new for $275 and they run $1200 and up now used. The 280 had a straight stock and along with the 100 and 200, they were made for Ithaca. They do however have a single trigger.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote