THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Reloading shotshells cheap - Geese to casual clays
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading shotshells cheap - Geese to casual clays
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted
After shooting some clay pigeons for the 1st time today, I'm thinking of getting a shotshell reloader for my BPS 3" 12 ga. I've been loading rifle shells for 7 or 8 years now, so am aware of the procedure. Shooting clays, that is fun!

I have a few questions:

-I want a in-expensive, but well built single stage press, the MEC 600 JR. looks pretty good. I want to load 3"-3.5" shells(my friend has a Nova 3.5"), steel and lead. Is this a good set-up? Please tell me a bit about the steps involved with this press. Do you have to induvidually weigh the shot & powder? The only press I've seen was a red MEC, and all you had to do was put an empty hull in, prime(I think), add wad, then pull the handle. The shells rotated around to each step. Is this similar to the 600 JR?

-What type of empty hulls can be re-loaded? I have heard hi-brass is a no-no, why? Is there a difference between crimp types as well?

-What type of velocity can be achieved safely? Are we talking equaling factory numbers, or can handloads safely be "pumped" up a bit?

I'd like to do light, 1 1/8 oz. #8's or so for shooting clays, not huge amounts, just a box or two every couple weeks would tide me over. Heavy goose loads, like 3" 1 3/8 oz. steel BBB or T's would also be another load I'd like to try. Add 2 3/4 " 1 1/4 oz. #2's or #3's for ducks too. Extra time spent with a single stage is fine, that poses no problem to me. MEC says you can load 6-8 boxes per hour on the 600 JR anyway.

Any comments, tips, observations, and suggestions are much appreciated.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
<nstoller>
posted
Hey Todbartell,

I have a MEC Steel Master I love it. I use it mainly for my 2 3/4" reloads. It will do 3". I also use it for my skeet reloads.

You will want to check out Ballistic Products, there is great information, and they are real friendly to speak with.

Best of luck on your new venture.

one of us
posted Hide Post
todbartell,

I have 2 600JR presses, one in 20 and one in 12 gauge. They are very simple and durable, I doubt you'll wear one out with the numbers you're talking in a lifetime.

The 600JR comes with a charge bar and a few bushings. To change powder volumes, you change bushings, to change shot charge, you change bars. You can also buy a universal charge bar pretty cheap, it has thumbscrews on the ends to vary shot and powder. Primers are fed by hand or you can add an automatic feeder.

steps involved by station
1 - decap/resize
2 - prime
3 - charge/wad/shot
4 - crimp starter
5 - final crimp
(there is a 6 point and 8 point crimp die included)

I set up my press and my 14 year old can reload.

Buy yourself the Lyman shotshell handbook, it covers everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask.

I load about 3 boxes a week for skeet + all my upland stuff. I use mine all for 2 3/4" loads up to 1.5 oz. 12 gauge, and for the small amount of waterfowling I do I buy a box of factory steel and they last me two years.

cheers, Mike

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
<ChuckD>
posted
What Mike said! I load for my 14 year old daughter and myself, at about 8 boxes per week year round. I buy the more exotic stuff for hunting waterfowl or turkeys--don't use that much and its not worth the hassle of setting up the machine. I have loaded high brass rounds--it is hard to resize them with the standard die--not worth the bother. I reload only 2 3/4" shells, as mostly thats all I use. Yes, clays are fun, especially sporting clays (lots of doubles). Have fun, Chuck

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Todbartel,The press you watched was a progressive press,not a single stage.With a single stage press,you're going to pull the handle 5 times for every shell you make,doing it one shell at a time,quite time consuming.Chuck is very honest on his high brass through a ring sizer comment.If you'd pick up a size master,,,or better yet,a grabber,it won't matter.Imho if you're serious about shooting shotgun sports,start with a progressive press and spend more time shooting and less time loading

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Claybuster,

I agree with getting a progressive press if you are shooting lots. The original post by todbartell said he shoots a box or 2 every two weeks and doesn't care how long it takes to reload. Once he has the 600JR set up for his skeet/trap load, he'll pump out 2 boxes in 15 minutes no sweat.

Hardly worth a progressive in this case....

Your mileage may vary....Mike

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by todbartell:
-I want a in-expensive, but well built single stage press, the MEC 600 JR. looks pretty good. I want to load 3"-3.5" shells(my friend has a Nova 3.5"), steel and lead. Is this a good set-up? Please tell me a bit about the steps involved with this press. Do you have to induvidually weigh the shot & powder?

-What type of empty hulls can be re-loaded? I have heard hi-brass is a no-no, why? Is there a difference between crimp types as well?

-What type of velocity can be achieved safely? Are we talking equaling factory numbers, or can handloads safely be "pumped" up a bit?

1. I agree with those who recommend a non-progressive for your use. You do not contemplate loading enough shells to make a progressive a good deal.

2. You can reload almost any hull, but some are much easier to work with or give better results than others. The best I've found are the Winchester AA type and the various Remington target shells. In 12 ga., there are both 6 point and 8 point hulls -- the target shells are 8 point. To get the best crimp, you need a different star-starter for the 6 and the 8 point ones. (Both Winchester AA and Remington target hulls are 8-point ones.)

3. Unlike rifle reloading, shotshell reloading is a "cookbook" proposition. This means that you get a loading formula (hull, primer, powder, wad, shot weight) from a recognized or standard loading book and follow it as exactly as you can. There are many such loading books, including those from Winchester, Hodgdon, IMR, Alliant (formerly Hercules), Lyman, and others. If you find a published loading formula that gives higher velocities than factory loads, then you can use it.

4. It is not necesary to weigh or measure every powder and shot charge. Shotshell loading tools have charge bars that are set up to dispense the proper powder charge and shot weight as you work the loading tool.

5. If you are shooting clay targets, especially skeet, there's no reason to go for high velocity, as clay targets are easy to break. Higher velocity only uses more powder (making loads more expensive) and kicks you more (making you tire more quickly and thus miss more targets).

6. Loading steel shot requires -- usually anyway -- some different loading tools than lead shot. Follow the instructions of your tool manufacturer on this.

7. You do need a loading scale to set up your loading tool in the beginning, to check whether your powder bushing (in the charge bar) is dispensing the amount of powder that the manufacturer claims for it. If so, OK. If not, you will need a larger or smaller bushing. (You can make a larger bushing throw a lighter charge by putting some plastic electrical tape inside the bushing hole.)

8. Shotshell loading is an easy and in many ways non-critical process. Don't worry too much if your powder charge is off by 1/2 grain or so.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
Tod,
If you are looking to save money for shooting clays it isn't goning to happen. I am using a Lee machine right now and it just doesn't pay. It costs exactly the same amount to make a box of cheap clay sheels. This is including the FREE 300 hulls and 500 wads. So it would cost more to reload than buting Walmart specials or Challegers. Screw that! I used up my tin of Clay powder and gave the machine back. It takes way more time and too much effort to get nothing in return.

I buy the Walmart 100 packs and they haven't failed me yet!

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is definately cheaper to reload if you buy in bulk. I shoot 2 to 4 boxes of trap shells everyweek almost all year around. Costs me $2.47/box to load shells that sell for $4.99/box at walmart. There are special sales where you can buy shells for $3.50 or even $3 a box, but they aren't the same quality or components. I have 12 ga and a 10 gauge single stage MEC reloaders. Just bought a progressive MEC yesterday for my trap loads. I would say you would do great with the Lyman book and a MEC 600 Jr reloader. Takes under 10 minutes for a box of 25 shells which is really fast enough. In fact I enjoy reloading. I also do rifle and pistol metalic reloading.

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I bought my mec progressives used,a grabber in 12ga.,and,a 650 in .410.Paid $195.00 for the pair.I run the 12ga twice a year on a sunday and crank out 5-600 rounds.The .410 i'll run once a year,if needed, for squirrels.Might need to run it more often if I get one of those winchester lever actions.Hmmmmmm,shooting skeet wih a lever action,,,could be fun!!!

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definitely it pays to buy in bulk. I live close to a plant where they actually make shot, and they basically wholesale all the other components. Their whole operation feeds off of the clay shooters in this area.

Usually a couple buddies go together and do a large buy for cutting cost.

I load for about $3.50 CDN, that's about a $1.50 savings per box at least (probably $2.00). It's not much, but you're not sending all those cheap cases to landfill, either. (yikes I made a "green" remark!!!)

Main reason I load is that I control the quality. Second reason, it beats watching the boob tube by a long shot (it's fun)

cheers, mike

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
There's nothing wrong with recycling,Red Label!Especially if you're going to have fun doing it ! [Wink]

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Ranger Dave,,,No offense meant,but,I'd buy wallyworld rounds too if my only choice was a lee load-all.I started with a load-all,,and after a month I swore there must be a better way.I have owned 4 different mec single stage presses since that day.I can't say anything bad about them except the time spent using a single stage.Then I lucked in to the "deal" I got on my progressives.Now asking why I did'nt look into a progressive sooner?