New
Find
Notify
Tools

Autoloading Shotguns
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking at the Rem 1100 Tac4. Want to use it for many things and can see it most for raising hell with Coyotes close-in. What is the diff between the 1100 and 11-87? How reliable is the 1100 compared to others in the same price range? I like the remchoke idea since it adds to the flexibility, any good/bad to say about the remchokes?

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The only shotgun I currently own is an 100, so I can't offer an opinion on 1100 vs 1187. However, having said that, I have been quite happy with the 1100 for trap, skeet, and sporting clays. With a 20" rifle sighted barrel I can shoot 1 - 2" groups with slugs offhand at 25 yards. Being gas-operated, the recoil is very tolerable with all loads I've fired. The gun has been totally reliable, and I have had zero malkfunctions in more than 20 years of use.

Posts: 20 | Location: South of Mason Dixon | Registered: 15 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I am also looking at a Remington 1100 Tactical for use in three gun matches. Trying to decide
on 18" or 22". Any comments would also be appreciated by me.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned both the 1100 and the 11-87. Both are excellent shotguns and will serve you well. They are both gas operated and tend to get a little dirty with large volumes of shooting in a single session. There isn't all that much difference between the two. With several thousand rounds through both and zero malfunctions I'd say that they're worth the investment. The Remchoke system is as good as anything out on the market. As with any interchangeable choke system, it adds a great deal of flexibility to any shotgun. Just remeber to lube the threads so they don't stick.

Posts: 56 | Location: Kona, Hawaii | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For kicks, what is your opinion of advantages/performance of an 870 in a tactical model? The 870 is less expensive. The semiauto obviously quicker and softer shooting, and again, likely use on Coyotes, and a secondary use as a defensive weapon.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 1100 (unless it's a mag.) shoots 2 3/4" shells only. The 11-87 will shoot a 3" shell as well as a 2 3/4".
This is true of the 11-87 Premier anyway. I don't know about the new "sps" plastic stuff.

The mag tube of the 11-87 is made of stainless steel and that makes it a bit heavier than the 1100.

They are both great guns, very reliable. The problem I see with them is people "clean" them and leave a bunch of oil around the piston, piston seal/gas seal and that holds residue which builds up and and causes FTE failures.

Learn how to properly clean the shotgun and great grandson will be shooting it long after you're gone.

Doug

Posts: 28 | Location: SC | Registered: 21 January 2009Reply With Quote