THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    What animal would this slug be perfect for?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What animal would this slug be perfect for?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A squirrel is a perfect match for a .22 rimfire.
A groundhog is just right for a 22-250.
A deer is perfect for a .270.

This thing is a shotgun slug. It's big, really big. What animal is just begging for one of these things?

730.00 grains, 0.730 inches, 1200.00 ft/sec

This thing should dig real deep. I am thinking maybe lion? I've never shot a lion, so my expertise is a bit limited. Wink
I'm probably going to get a few of these just to play with, just because they are interesting. They remind me of my 10mm handgun, just a lot bigger.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I have shot bison in the spine with 12 ga slugs, both hollow base and breneke style, and the hard cast is somewhat more effective than the expanding (yes they trun around 180 degrees and expand from the base). Also shot bison in neck with 50 and 54 caliber muzzle loaders with ball and maxi ball.

Shotguns and muzzle loaders do not have enough velocity to be very effective on bison.

There is a complex algorithum between mass, frontal area and velocity that produce an effective big game ctg.

In my experience with a lot of bison, the 338 win mag is minimum for one shot kill, and surprisngly the 35 whelan and 35 improved better still (frontal area in this case makes up for less velocity). 375 and 375 improved better still.

Im not a big 12 ga fan though use it alot on racoons, porcupines and skunks. Old water fowl load of lead BB's is good on the varmits.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ballistics are similar to the 12 bore paradox, magnum paradox and explora guns which were a Maharaja favorite for tiger and other big game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the Arival of the .375 H&H killed the paradox sone dead. Kills bettter on cats (has enough velocity) kills better on elephants (has the penetration needed) kills better on...well, just about anything I have ever needed to shoot.

African Peasants who cannot own a proper rifle make a 12g do all sorts of things- and they love Brenneke slugs. They will kill lion from side on reliably, they will kill buffalo if you get things right, if you want to chase an elephant out of the field use No 6 and shoot it on the back side...

10 & 12g Shotguns are very effective on game up to the size of people...this includes slugs from said guns. Deer, Pigs and smaller fury and feathered things. If you want to shoot something bigger get the right tool for the job.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Once again, reinventing the wheel.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19310 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had wondered if velocity would be a limiting factor. It looks like it is from what you guys are saying. It's a big slug, but it's a very slow slug. And it will only do so much with 1200fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is an after action report from putting down a sick angus bull with these slugs.

I still think these things are cool, even if they are not particularly useful. I want one for a pendant for a necklace. Wink

This was on shotgunworld.com.

-----------
James and fellow shooters,

I kinda figured that this title would get a lot of attention.
Well it just so happens that we had one of our Bulls on the farm got lamed up. I was in town last night and Dad decided to put him down as the ol' boy hadn't been up nor could he and ended up mired down in the nearest mud in the cattle lot. He was a good-sized Angus Bull and live weight over one ton.
This morning I was tasked to dispose of him. Not wanting to pass up a good chance to shoot a big carcass, I took the Savage 210 with Dixie Terminators (1,200 fps) with me in an UNOFFICIAL penetration test.
Using the tractor and Front-end loader, I drug him to a dry location and arranged the body in a head down position on his side. I tried to get him onto his belly in a natural "stance" but to no avail. A combination of too much rigor and not enough horsepower for one man to do a good position.
The first shot was a mock charging shot. I lay down on the ground (on my side to get the shot angle right) and fired between the eyes, with the intended angle to be slightly downward to the lower ham on the rear legs. (By the way, if you decide to try this you will notice when the gun goes off)
The second shot was from out of the loader bucket, straight down, as a "broadside" shot. Aim was intended to connect with both front shoulder bones.
"Cadaver Analysis"
The frontal shot exited the back of the skull and the first vertebrae and was found just alongside the 3rd-4th vertebrae in the neck. Total penetration was 17" over half the distance therof was skull and vertebrae.
The broadside shot barely kissed the onside shoulder bone, went through both onside and offside ribs, The bullet traveled all the way through appearing as a lump under the offside skin. The thickness of the old Bull was right at 28" while on his side at the point of bullet entry and bullet path.
Some may wonder why it didn't exit, but please remember he was lying on his side and the exit side was pressed against the ground. I assume that this would make things mighty dense and tough the last few inches.
There were two visible lumps under the skin on the off side about 2.5-3" apart. The larger hard one I recognized as the slug but the other baffled me. When I cut it open I found that it was the wads. The bullet path was below the wads as I could stick my finger into the hole clear to the bone. This means that the slug had enough oomph to clear the tissue, pull the skin away from the tissue AGAINST the density of the soft dirt, and then rebound back ending up away from the bullet path and wound channel.
I realize that this is not a real good test with regard to minimizing variables, but variables exist in every hunting situation. I thought you might be interested in the results on a really big and tough animal. And by tough I mean I had to constantly touch up my knives due to the gristle. Talk about stringy, whew. He was an old bull.
Both bullets survived well, again exceeding the capacity of my 510 RCBS scale.
Did I get pictures?......... Yes! Since I'm still in the middle ages and do not have a digital camera, I'll have to get the film developed.
Hope you all find this information helpful.

Read more: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bb...d8de69#ixzz1TmglD7Fv
-------------

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
And the Arival of the .375 H&H killed the paradox sone dead. Kills bettter on cats (has enough velocity) kills better on elephants (has the penetration needed) kills better on...well, just about anything I have ever needed to shoot.

As great a cartridge as the .375 is, I would argue that beginning in the mid 1890's the bolt action rifle, especially after it had become familiar to millions of WWI soldiers, was the reason for the decline in use of the single shot rifle, double rifle, and the various ball-and-shot guns. In support of this theory, consider that the glory days of the British magazine rifle began in Edwardian times and continued to WWII. In the USA, and during the same years, use of the lever rifle became secondary to the use of various bolt rifles, including the famous Winchester model 70 and those built on 1903, M98, and M1917 military actions.

I also would like to point out that there is a great difference between bore rifles and true ball-and-shot guns. A bore rifle is just that, a rifle. It fires a large diameter bullet through a rifled barrel at moderate velocity, usually 200-300 fps faster than if the same bullet were fired through a ball-and-shot gun. Within their range, bore rifles can be devastating. A ball-and-shot gun is designed to shoot either bullets or shot interchangeably. Without doubt, the most successful of these were the H&H Paradox guns and other guns that copied the design, including the Westley Richards guns. By design Paradox guns are a compromise between a rifle and a shotgun and little can be gained from arguing that a Paradox gun does not shoot as flat, nor hit as hard, as a .375 or larger rifle cartridge. That is, unless you are prepared to argue that a large bore rifle shoots shot as well as a Paradox gun.

Now back to the original poster's question, "What animal is just begging for one of these things? 730.00 grains, 0.730 inches, 1200.00 ft/sec".

Projectiles within those parameters have been successfully used to take nearly anything that walks, although not generally considered the best choice for pachyderms the other really big stuff. To say that a Paradox bullet should be limited to shooting man-sized and smaller animals just demonstrates the lack of understanding many have about these guns. The performance described above, all the way through the animal and behind the far skin, is very common with this class of weapon, even when fired into the animal from end to end. It is hard to argue against a .73 caliber hole through-and-through any animal.

Over the years, countless plains game animals, lions, bears, tigers, big boars, and deer have fallen to Paradox guns. Today these guns are still being used to do the same sort of thing: http://www.classicshooting.com...ns-photo-gallery.htm

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Design of the projectile and sectional denisty has more to do with the 12 ga poor performance.

Posts: 19374 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed a number of hogs and cull whitetails with my Ugartechea 12 gauge SxS slug gun using the 1 oz Brenekke MP slug. Always passed through including one THS on a 189 # running away hog.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote