Find
Notify
Tools

Gun fit is getting to me.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted
First, a little background. I started shotgunning with a BPS, first a 20, then a 12. The stock did not have near enough drop on it, but I could shoot it ok. At sporting clays, I could not buy more than 50% of the rabbits, but show me an overhead target, and nothing but dust. Love that gun.

Then I bought a Gold Fusion, adjusted the stock for drop, and I have run the rabbit station EVERY TIME since. Can't miss. Love that gun.

Now, alas, I'm missing 50% of the overhead targets, especially the outgoing ones, and teal are hard.

The $64,000 question: is gun fit a compromise? Do I shoot my BPS for dove, and my Fusion on chuckars? Or, can I have my cake and eat it too by getting professionally fitted? Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch,

Without seeing you mount a gun it is impossible to say, but it sounds to me like you are adjusting the stock to compensate for a lack of lead. If you are hitting the rabbits and missing the overheads it is likely because your lead on the overheads is not adequate, or possibly too much. When you were missing the rabbits you probably had a comb that was too high and were shooting over them, although that is not normally a problem with modern American stocks.

The easiest thing to do is to rapidly mount and shoot at a bed sheet or a pattern board multiple times and you will quickly figure out where the gun is shooting for you. From that point, adjusting the stock is relatively easy. But, to be consistent, you MUST have your head in the same position for each shot, whether you are shooting rabbits or overhead targets, otherwise it isn't the stock, it is you.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo, at 6'5", and 38" arms, it's quite easy for a comb to be too high.

You made me go play with the shotgun, though. When I shoot the overheads, I mount on the arm, instead of the shoulder. On the fusion, the eye is too far down, and I am shooting south of the target. I'll try to adjust the mount, and see how she goes tomorrow. Thanks for the help, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote