Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg International
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted
Got my Mossberg Intl. Silver Reserve last week. I was kind of worried that the wood would look bad or be very poor grade. I was also worried the scroll work would look stamped.

Well to my surprise, The wood is beautiful dark walnut and scroll work looks awesome, for a low priced O/U. Now we will just see if it patterns. But for the money this is best looking O/U I've seen under $800.

Posts: 751 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Took out the Mossberg this weekend and what a nice gun. Points well and patterns very well. I would recommend this shotgun to anyone on a budget and they want an O/U.

Posts: 751 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Earl,

Glad you like yours. I have one too and like it a lot for what it is. I am very pleased with the fit and performance. It is built for Mossberg by Kayhan and the metal part appears to be built on the same design and pattern as the Turkish guns labeled as Khan. The Khan gun was lower priced but the stock didn't fit me. The Khan models sold in my area also didn't have any of the appearance embellishments of the MI. However, in reality, you get what you pay for. The first one I bought had a damaged receiver and wouldn't accept a shell in the lower barrel as the lip was bent and the shell would seat fully. I took it back and the dealer had one more in stock to make a switch. This one had a large rusty bubble on the barrel where bluing salts had not been fully removed. I obtained a "good" one from a sister store. They sell for 489.00 periodically from Big Five up here in the Pacific NW. The wood is pretty for the price. But it is not hard walnut. The innner forestock is not sealed. The exterior finish is thin and prone to chip and doesn't resist dents very well.
These are some of the realities that I have experienced with this gun. I think it is a good gun for the price but it is what it is. If I am not mistaken, there have been threads here some year or two ago where the Khan models were approved of by their owners as good for hunting use, especially in the rough country of E. WA rocky ground for chukars, etc.

Marv

Posts: 11 | Location: Northwest Washington State | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote