THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Browning BSS 20Ga. English style??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BSS 20Ga. English style??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is subject shotgun considered to be of good quality and value? Bought one and it seems to balance very well and quick to mount. Curious what other owners think of the shotgun.
All feedback appreciated.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the one with the straight grip stock?

I've had one for years. Bought it new. Mine has a Full/Mod configuration. Carried it a lot and have used it very successfully. It is my "go to" gun for pheasants, quail and doves. Also used it for blue grouse, ptarmingon, snipe, rabbits, squirrels and a few ducks and geese.

Never did much waterfowl with it because I don't like running steel through a full choked barrel which relegates it to being a single shot for waterfowl. I'd love to find a 12 ga with a Mod/Imp Cyl configuration for waterfowl. If I could find one for the right price, I'd jump on it immediately.

If my memory serves me right, I gave $495 new for mine. Last one I saw for sale was priced a little below $2000. So I doubt if I'll find the 12 ga at a reasonable price.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. One I have is bored Imp.Cyl. right barrel, Modified left barrel, 26" barrels. Has barrel selector behind trigger, small serrated button, push right or left, single trigger of course but understand they did offer a two trigger version?? Have heard the weight of English field shotguns worked around a formula that the gun weight be 96 times the weight of the shot charge. 1oz.shot charge x 96= 96/16= 6lbs. 1.25oz. shot would dictate gun to weigh in at 7.75lbs. This one weighs 6lbs. As soon as weather breaks a bit, going to local game preserve and see about some quail, chukkars, pheasant, etc.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 one english one not killed lots of game with them

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MFD:
Thanks for the feedback. One I have is bored Imp.Cyl. right barrel, Modified left barrel, 26" barrels. Has barrel selector behind trigger, small serrated button, push right or left, single trigger of course but understand they did offer a two trigger version?? Have heard the weight of English field shotguns worked around a formula that the gun weight be 96 times the weight of the shot charge. 1oz.shot charge x 96= 96/16= 6lbs. 1.25oz. shot would dictate gun to weigh in at 7.75lbs. This one weighs 6lbs. As soon as weather breaks a bit, going to local game preserve and see about some quail, chukkars, pheasant, etc.

Greener's old formula.

I wouldn't take it as a minimum, it was intended to be a rule of thumb for the comfortable maximum in terms of recoil tolerance and the longevity of the gun itself.

I've an Thos Turner SxS that according to the proofmarks is almost 110 years. It seems to be regulated for and shoots best with an ounce of (English) 6s and I can't even begin to imagine how many shells it must have had through it in it's lifetime. I've had it for 3 seasons and excepting goose it has killed everything I've hit properly with the same load.

I often think folk tend to go overboard on charge weight and shot size, an ounce of 6s is good to 40 yards for pheasant, though 32gr of no.5s is better on the cock birds and high birds in general. 34 grams of no.4s are as big as most experts would go for that size game.

In short, don't go overboard on charge, you'll enjoy shooting it more and probably shoot better as recoil throws a SxS off line more than an OU or single barrel because the moment of the recoil force is further away from the centreline of the gun.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have quite a few BSS. They are what I considered an undervalued sxs. the 20's are such a pleasure to handle. production stopped in 1987. The came out initially as non selective but a few years after production started (1971) thy changed over to selective. There was a side lock but they are chambered 2.75 with double triggers, two barrel lengths 26"/28" either imp cly/mod or mod full. english or pistol grade 1 or 11

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to what nice used ones sell for, the market has high regard for the BSS.

I own one (PG, SST, 20 ga, 26 ic/mod) that is new and unfired, and considering how many other shotguns I have for the limited amount of bird shooting that I do, it will probably remain that way. However, it is a good-feeling gun at the shoulder.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ghubert,
Thanks for the reply. Friend of mine has SKB, 20gauge, appearing to be identical to my Browning, other than Pistol Grip version and location of barrel selector, and as you pointed out, he uses only low brass/light load No.6's for his bird hunting and does very well with it.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Also bear in mind that most the SxS i've played with or spoken to the owners of seem to pattern better with standard velocity cartridges.

I remember reading somewhere that the difference in lead would amount to something like 3" at 40 yards so no need buy magnum shells as your wise buddy has discovered.

I urge you to shoot the gun for pattern with different shells when you get, like rifle ammo some brands suit some guns better than others.

I don't know anything about the Browning in question, although Browning have always made fine guns, so that's about it for my contribution to this subject I'm afraid.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
According to what nice used ones sell for, the market has high regard for the BSS.

I own one (PG, SST, 20 ga, 26 ic/mod) that is new and unfired, and considering how many other shotguns I have for the limited amount of bird shooting that I do, it will probably remain that way. However, it is a good-feeling gun at the shoulder.

That was the first shotgun my dad gave to me. How much do you want for it? I'm feeling nostalgic right about now. Took my first duck, goose, and pheasant with that gun..........

375er

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote