THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Disabling automatic safety on an O/U?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disabling automatic safety on an O/U?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents, I shoot quite a bit of informal skeet with different types of shotguns (pump and O/U), and since my O/U is new to me, sometimes I forget it has an automatic safety (my Browning BPS obviously does not). Is there a way to disable the automatic safety on an O/U? The gun in question is a Beretta 686 28 gauge field model, and it is my only O/U. I have no problem remembering to engage the tang safety on my BPS when hunting, but it is never engaged on the skeet range as I never load it until it is my turn at that station, and the action is left open. And when using the O/U, the action is always open as well until it is my turn to shoot. I often switch between these 2 guns during one session (but not in the same round of 25) as I want practice with the Browning for waterfowl hunting, but the little 28 gauge Beretta is so fun to shoot. And when switching back and forth is when I sometimes forget to disengage the safety on the Beretta. It's not a big deal as I am not a competitive shooter, but it can be irritating. Has anyone ever done this with the Beretta? Don't some O/Us that are strictly for clay bird competition come from the factory without the automatic safety?

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
dont know about Beretta. Brownings i have do not have auto safetys. I had Charles Daley(early brownings) that had an auto safety. If you took off the butt stock, there was a lever that activated the safety when the gun was opened. This lever could be removed. It was held by only one screw. And made to be removed if you liked.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably best to check an IPB, but my recollection is that a 686 is similar to a BL-1 and BL-2 (I'm probably wrong). If that's the case, pull the buttstock and it will be obvious; just one piece to remove.

If you're not familiar enough with the gun, you could probably get a gunsmith to do it quite inexpensively.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did it to my Beretta it's the same for models 680-687.I don't have the part number but it's obvious which part to remove.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents. This sounds like something I will take up with a gunsmith when time permits...

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of mills
posted Hide Post
it cost me $10.00 at my gunsmith to have him do it.

Posts: 33 | Location: bonita springs fl | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
Hi

Just wanted to ad that I really like the auto safety on my O/U. Don't bother me at all at the range. Think it is good practise to start with a "safe" gun. Makes things easier during hunting. The safety goes of as the gun comes up.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote