Find
Notify
Tools

Extended choke tubes?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
What is the purpose and/or advantage of using extended choke tubes 2-3"?

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lou, I'll take a stab at it since nobody else has....

Longer tubes would allow for a longer, less tapered, forcing cone, and/or longer cylindrical section after the cone. It would also allow for a tighter choke, given the same forcing cone taper, than a standard length tube. I guess it basically provides more "options" on what you can do with it. I've seen "choke tubes" a foot long on some guns at Turkey shoots before.

Plus, it makes it easier to hit your target because you're an inch or so closer [Wink]

Best Regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm...what is the purpose indeed? I think the biggest reason is marketing a new whizbang choke tube. Afterall, is it REALLY necessary that we have a choke tube that will optimize our pattern for every 3-5 yards distance. I can't even judge the distance that well when ranges get out to 40 yards.

Anyway, with that small rant aside I think the biggest purpose of them would be to change the weight and feel of your shotgun. If you want a little more weight at the muzzle of your favorite shotgun then you could use an extended choke tube.

Additionally you can generally change them with your hands and not need a special wrench. Although you better make sure they stay tight otherwise you could ruin your favorite barrel.

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
<chevota>
posted
I agree with Bill M on the taper issue, too much choke in too short of a tube is a bad thing, you want a smooth transition not a speed bump. But I've never seen one longer than about 2".
Bill M, where can I see/buy one on the net? I think it would be cool to add 12" to my 18" barrel.

I also agree with B_Koes mentality of why do people need so many different tubes. I personally only like Cyl or X-full.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chevota,

I don't know if I can find a picture of one of those long tubes on the net, I only saw them used at one of the local matches, and have been out of the "Turkey shoot" circle for several years now. Shooting 3-4 nights every week got to be too much (I was addicted [Embarrassed] ). Some of the matches that I shot limited 12 gauge chokes to 0.670" diameter (basically, a loaded 20 gauge shell had to fit in the choke tube), and most were also barrel length limited.

If you're seriously interested in them, you might call/e-mail Nu-Line guns. Website is www.nulineguns.com . I have a couple custom extended tubes from them for card shooting (they "paid" for themselves many times over), but not the foot-long tubes. The shoot that I saw the those at is close to my house, so when they start to have matches in the Spring, I'll see what I can find out.

Best regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<chevota>
posted
Thanks Bill

<zasgar>
posted
something like this Bill ???

-

one of us
posted Hide Post
1)smoother taper for less pattern/shot deformation
2)no need for a wrench
3)in most cases, you can identify in a glance what choke is in the gun
4)ported choke tubes
5)foward weight/aid swing (depending on length)
6)they look spiffy

A buddy of mine has a Browning 802ES. Its a Citori based sporting clays over/under with 28 inch barrels. It came with some regular Browning chokes, some 2" extended chokes, and some 4" extended chokes. The 4"ers really did make it swing much differently. I use the extended Brileys, not sure how far out they go.

J.

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote