New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it possible or desirable when switching from lead (my old shotguns) to steel (whatever I get next) to either:

1. Just bore out the choke on an older SxS, or

2. Buy an old semi or pump and install a new barrel?

Thx.

Posts: 38 | Location: Between sunrises. | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steel shot will score the barrel all the way down in the older softer bbls. Especially Winchesters and Belgium Brownings. A new bbl. for an older model should work, but you might be better off to trade or buy a new shotgun for your waterfowl hunting. A 3 1/2" capability is nice if geese are on the agenda.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bought a new (Japan) bbl. for the A5 and it works great but I have since given up steel and just shoot bismuth in my sxs.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on what brand/make of gun it is. Check with the manufacturer before you make any changes!

Some shooters have opened-up tighter chokes and used shot steel in them and some have had steel shot acceptable choke tube systems installed.

Most of the concerns about steel shot and its usage in barrels is with a slight ringe-bulge developing just forwared of the choke area and thus pushing doudle barreled guns apart slightly. In single barreled guns it is only cosmetic and doesn't affect gun usage.

This ringe-bulge affect is due to an increase in radial presure as the load travels down the bore, particularly from hard shot types (steel, hevi, tungsten/iron, etc.), large pellet sizes (especially BB and larger), heavy loads, high velocities, etc. Of course, this is mostly a problem with tight chokes (tighter than Mod.), thin or weak barrels, thin or sub-standared choke tube systems, etc.

Properly loaded steel shot loads will not score your barrel since all of the shot is incased in a hard plastic shot cup during bore travel.

Good luck.

Posts: 61 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 16 January 2008Reply With Quote