New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun legal barrel length...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was given a Mossberg 20ga pump that the barrel looks awfully short on, and may have been shortened.

Does anyone know the shortest legal barrel length, and where you measure from?

one of us
posted Hide Post
18 inchs to measure the proper way close the action drop a cleaning rod down the barrel mark it at the end of the barrel then measure. If the measurement is under 18" buy a new barrel. Depose of the old one.

Posts: 19425 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a federal minimum length ... 18" measured with a cleaning rod against the closed bolt, BUT there can be state or local restrictions as well. Florida used to have a minimum of 20" years ago. 'Tis wise to check.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I'm in CommyKalifornia, and I just measured it. It's 19.5". I know (I think) it's been cut off because of the flat end with no smooth edge to speak of, and no sight.

I'ts a modified choke, and I guess it will be good for home defense. My knowledge of shotguns is very limited.

It's a Mossberg 500 CT, North Newhaven Conneticutt. Is this a quality shotgun?... or so, so. Or how does it compare to my old 870 Wingmaster?

And are these good performers for rifled slug dear hunting (w/barrel change), and general hunting with an adjustable choke barrel.

Any info on what it's good, or bad for would be great.

Thanks,

ML

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just read on the barrel that it was a 20ga 28" and shoots 2-3/4 and 3" shells.

What kind of hunting was this one set up for?

one of us
posted Hide Post
with a 28' it would be good for upland game, small game and waterfowl, I have one in 12ga, great gun, the action is a little rougher than the 870, but a great gun at any rate, it will last forever.

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mossberg 500 is near the bottom of US made shotguns. Simply because that's were they want to be with this gun. It is an inexpensive gun with little resale value. With the current barrel, it is only good for home defense. It is easy to pick up a pistol grip for it. In this configuration, it will sit nicely in the closet for years waiting to be used.

The up side of these guns is that barrels are easy to come by. You can even purchase them used on ebay. The 500 can be configured with a 28" barrel with screw in chokes, or a sighted barrel for slugs or even a muzzleloader barrel. You can get synthentic or wood stocks for it.

I have one, for home defense. But with a standby 28" barrel I have a loaner that I don't worry about. It will never be a goose gun of any note. But with non-steel shot, it can do duty as duck gun. It will never stand up to the abuse of trap or skeet on a regular basis. But it is good for what Mossberg intended. You can shoot quail, pheasant, rabbits, squirel, deer, boar and grouse all day long with it, and they will taste just as good on plate and they will not notice the difference.

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

But it is good for what Mossberg intended. You can shoot quail, pheasant, rabbits, squirel, deer, boar and grouse all day long with it, and they will taste just as good on plate and they will not notice the difference.

Pete

Very eloquently put Pete...

and the last line is just what I need it for.

Thanks all,

ML