Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Side lock VS box lock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Chasseur:

What about the mechanics involved? Don't sidelocks have a better assembled trigger and sear? I shot 40 year old sidelocks years ago that had a trigger that didn't droop and whose safety worked as crisply as if the shotgun had been made last year.Otherwise, why the sometimes almost fantastic differences in price between boxlock and sidelock? (Just asking)

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can compromise there are box locks that have added side plates, looks like a side lock and gives more room for engraving.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chasseur,

The L C Smith is not a box lock, it has side locks and is famous for splitting behind the locks. They did make a few box locks but not many, they are known for the side locks. I do not think that other side locks ever had those problems. Other than L C Smiths, I have not seen a big problem with either. The side lock costs a bunch more both in metalwork and stockwork. I have two Elsies, about as expensive a sidelock as I can afford.

Cr500, it would be hard to justify the extra cost for handling or other benefits. They are gems and definitely the upper end of shotguns. Function wise, there is little if any difference as far as shooting and handling.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Customstox,

Oops, you're right. I somehow put Elsies in my discussion of boxlocks... Not sure why I did that.

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote