New
Find
Notify
Tools

36" shotgun bbl
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a single shot 12 guage that we call the long tom because of its 36" bbl. It says Western Field then below that, in smaller letters it says Montgomery Ward & CO. It is chambered for 2 3/4". On the other side of it says "-94B-". Has anyone saw a gun like this one? Any idea of its value or approximate date it was manufactured. Thanks
Bkmastr

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

Posts: 203 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We used to call it a "gas pipe on a stick" when I was young (I'm 76). No offense intended. It was a description of what it looked like. "Western Field" was a name used by Montgomery Ward - a big mail order house (never as big as Sears Roebuck in my neck of the woods but definitely right up there) My gut reaction is that such shotguns were made before WW2. I'm surprised that it's a 12. I recall seeing 36" barrel single shot often in 10 ga. and they definitely were pre WW2 manufacture. Sorry if I can't give you a pinpoint answer.

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should not have been too quick to suggest that such 36" single shot shotguns were only made before WW2. I definitely saw them after WW2 and they might have been postwar manufacture. I do remember hearing the 36" barrel single shot being referred to as a "goose gun" (although I think that had more to do with a 10 gauge) "Western Field", of course, was only a trade name of Montgomery Ward which manufactured no guns of its own. I also seem to recall Harrington & Richardson and Ivor Johnson as likely manufacturers (although I just am not sure if Ivor Johnson was around after WW2) You do have an interesting gun and it may be worth a fair price for a collector to pay. There was a time in this country when a single shot shotgun stood behind the kitchen door of many farms in America and served very well against everything from a swooping chicken hawk to a fox. If I were you I would hold on to it or else get a decent price from a collector. Just my thoughts.

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the input Gerrys375!! My dad actually just inherited this gun from his dad, and i think it was origionally owned by my great grandpa. He also got a Winchester. I think it was a model 70. It is a 7mm mauser. I do know for sure that the 7mm was my great grandpa's gun. Once again, thanks for the info.

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

Posts: 203 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With Quote