THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Re: Side by side reccomendation.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Side by side reccomendation.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
That 101 was still in its infancy. They do loosen up a bit around a million shots I will admit. My go to hunting gun, but you said s/s, so I didn't bring 101s up AGAIN.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Citori certainly has a simpler design than the Superposed, but it is much more likely to shoot loose in my experience, which admittedly is limited. I had a Citori 12 in the 80s that shot loose in less than 30,000 rounds. I sent it back to Browning, they fixed it for roughly half of what a new one would cost. I sold it and have had no use for Citoris since. I still have one in 28 which is the kickingnest 28 I have ever shot. I don't really understand why. Needless to say I don't shoot it much. One of these days I'll trade it or give it to one of my unsuspecting kids.

I am not sold on most Berettas. Probably personal preference, but they just don't "feel" right to me. I have a SO3 made in 1949 that is a nice gun but it is light and will punish you if you shoot it much with heavier loads. They do have access to some beautiful wood on some of their guns tho.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

I am most thankful for the response this thread has received and I drop in every once and a while to see what you gents have posted.

It appears that the BSS is the only thing on the menu that is affordable and impressive amongst you aficinados. So, it appears to be a no brainer to me.

I have had 2 Citori's and they were/are fine guns. I gave the 12 to my son a few years ago and held onto the 20. They are well made and will never see enough use from me to shoot loose. Which brings to mind a pal who has an ancient 101. I shot it several years ago and was most impressed with it. Then he told me he estimated 50,000 shells had been through it and it locked up like a bank vault. I don't know how most folks treat their guns, but I use but don't abuse them. A drop of oil on the hinge and none of this slamming them shut, goes a LONG way in preserving the lockwork. I'm just a hillbilly who likes to grouse hunt a few times each season and still lusts for the quail which was once so common.

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't own a Type I or II Citori, my posts refered to the type III which is quite a gun, my .308-12 has NO problem with hot loads and the .308 is a high pressure round. I am into it's 16th year and it is a tight as a nun's____. I have several friends that are fanatic shotgunners who have Citoris with well over 100,000 rounds through them and they are still tight, these guys are wealthy enough to shoot whatever they want, one of them owns a gunstore.

The consensus among older shotgunners I know who own and shoot both is that the Citori is a stronger gun than the Superposed. I actually prefer the feel of a Superposed, especially in 12 ga. and intend to find one of the Superlight, solid rib, 12s for Blue Grouse hunting, one of these days. I am not surprised at the rebuild cost on the '80s Citori, I have found that browning have become pretty p__spoor in terms of customer service.

I agree on the 101, I wish I had bought one of the little straight grip, small frame ones when you could find them...of course, I wish I had a McKay Brown, too!

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jump,
I can second the SKB recommedation. I bought a new one last year and have been nothing but happy with it. The Model 385 has no false side plates and a satin finish while the Model 485 is much more embelleshed. There is a 20/28 gauge set that looks really nice too. I ended up with a serviceble, nice looking 20 gauge with splinter forend and English stock, some nice wood, and a single trigger. All for $2000. Not cheap but certainly less than any used AyA or BSS or SilverHawk. Just my two cents but I'd give the new SKB's at least a look.

Check out here: http://www.skbshotguns.com/

NoCAL

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like those guns as well, I have nowhere near the experience with shotguns that I do with rifles, but, I am very impressed with Japanese shotguns, generally. My Miroku-Browning Mod. 7500 combo. gun in .308-12 ga. is just a fantastic gun, the quality of fit and finish and the performance just amaze me.

Your comment about the price of a used BSS is a bit off, though, the sidelocks such as the one I have are now highly collectable and, in NIB condition like mine, go for fairly serious bucks; but, the 20 bore BSS boxlock can be found for about 1200.00 bucks and I consider this a hell of a deal. I passed up one with the straight grip, 28" tubes, in mint shape a couple of years ago and now regret it.

Honestly, I much prefer these solid, workmanlike guns over a lot of the big name, pricey stuff; I had a sidelock AYA and was not that impressed. I wish I had been this value oriented and practical about guns 40 yrs. ago when I started buying them!

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chasseur:

As you probably suspect by now, I always read your posts carefully. I was very happy to see you mention the Fox Sterlingworth and the L.C. Smith -both of which I carried in days when the dinosaurs roamed the earth. Both were "hand me downs" from uncles. I owned neither more than a few seasons -which proves that Goerge Bernard Shaw (or somebody) said that youth was too precious to waste on the young! (Ask me today, Iwould say that the L.C.Smith was better -only because it seemed more "solid" than the Fox - or maybe that's an old man's memory playing tricks)

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fell embarassed that I forgot to mention what seems to be everyone's favorite: the BSS! They are good guns and hell for stout. When I first started looking for a SxS thats what everyone pointed me to. I decided against then them since they don't call to me from an style point of view, though I've been thinking about one for a rainy-day and clays gun.

Great post Gerald! What gun did you like better the Lc Smith of the Fox? I like the style of the Fox guns better, but there is something about Smiths though...

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote