Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

which one to buy?
 Login/Join

posted
i am in the market for a new semi auto shotgun. right now i considering the benelli super black eagle 2, franchi i-12, remington 105cti or the beretta extrema 2. not so sure as to which one could be the best of the bunch. the franchi seems to be the best bang for the buck, but i like features of all the shotguns. can anyone give me any input as to their experiences with these firearms, and their opinions. thanks!

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
For what specific use?

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
With only the experience of shooting/hunting beside the guns you've mentioned (with the exception of the new Remmy) I'd suggest the Winchester Super X2. You'll have the fastest cycling semi on the market (don't tell Tom Knapp). You'll have an incredibly reliable feeder and cycler of everything from 7/8 oz. low brass to the biggest candlesticks. You'll also have about $600-$700 left over to buy ammo, a hunt or whatever.

As a second option........the Super X3 is reportedly lighter & faster yet than the X2. I'm not yet familiar with the particulars of this one.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the SBE II or the Beretta Extrema 2. I'm assuming you are a waterfowler so you'll want 3.5" chamber to use for at least geese. The Franchi only has a 3" chamber and I'm pretty sure that's also the case with the new Rem 105cti.

For me I love the 3.5" shells...I use them for duck and geese. Steel really sucks so it helps compensate for not being able to use lead.

I got a SBE II in Oct and put it through ringer this season with about 20 duck and goose hunts. Many ugly conditions. Never had any problems.

I went with the SBE II over the Extrema mainly because it's so much easier to break down and clean...even in the field.

The Extrema has a gas system and the kick will be less than the SBE...but gas systems tent to be a little more touchy and get dirty and jam easier.

Don't get me wrong...I like the Extrema and think it's an awesome shotgun...but if you look at what most waterfowl guides use...you'll see them using SBEs more than anything.

The only con I can think of with a SBE is they say you can't shoot lighter loads than 1 1/8 oz...which is a standard dove load. However during the season I did shoot some 1 oz 2 3/4" steel shot loads with mine and never had a problem with cycling issues.

You won't see people that are big into trap or skeet shooting SBEs ever.

One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
I bought the Benelli Cordoba last year after shooting a SBE II & several other shotguns. I do alot of Turkey hunting & have hunted alot of Geese & never needed 3 1/2 inch shells before so that is the only draw back.
I guess it's what feels right to you & what you are going to use it for. I shoot alot more sporting clays than I care to shoot 3 1/2 mags. I really like the feel & it shoots very soft.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yeah it really depends on what he wants to do with this shotgun. I assumed waterfowl since he mentioned a few of the more widely used waterfowling guns.

But yeah if he's just looking to shoot clays or doves then you don't need a 3.5" chamber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the beretta extrema and it is a good gun for game birds.Previously owned a eurika(beretta)AL391 and was satisfied with it.

Posts: 55 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Extreme2 and love it, the kick off system
is good whit heavy loads.
See this demonstration of the XTREMA 2 Shotgun. This video is unbelievable
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6750458630308006678&q=beretta