New
Find
Notify
Tools

rem 1100 magnum
 Login/Join

posted
i am looking to buy a remmington 1100 magnum 12 ga
a friend told me that they work well for heavy loads but will not handle light loads like for doves
does anyone know if this is true and can anything be done to correct this
thanks elf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a rem-1100 mag with many 2/34 trap loads but you need to use a 2/34 inch barrel. not a big deal.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
mine will shoot anything

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
elf, if you're still out there and listening, this advice on it -

About 20 years ago I bought one of the 1100 magnums to duck hunt with and was told then it would only handle the 3" magnum loads, but I learned I could also shoot low brass 2 3/4" in it with no problems. I asked others about that and was told, at the time, that most 1100 magnums would NOT handle the low pressure loads, but that once in a while you'd get lucky and find one that would. That's what mine was.

In other words, on mine you didn't need to also have a barrel chambered for the 2 3/4" shells.

Anyway, they then came out with the 11-87 (this was 1987) and I traded the 1100 magnum on it. The 11-87 is what I recommend you get. It's the BEST overall shotgun I've ever owned. It's had many thousands of rounds thru it and has killed nearly every type of game the Mid-South has to offer.

It was specifically designed to handle BOTH 3" magnum loads and 2 3/4" low brass or low pressure loads and it does them interchangeably. It also has some other advantages such as screw-in chokes and a nicer grade of wood and finish (mine's the Premier model).

But understand, this is 20 something years ago. I don't know the deal on current production 1100 magnums.