THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Beretta model 424 S x S, 12 ga.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta model 424 S x S, 12 ga.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wonder if you fellows would help educate an old rifle shooter who is mostly ignorant when it comes to shotguns.

I ran across a Beretta 424 S x S, 12 ga. 28" barrel, straight stock, 2-3/4" full/mod, double triggers. Not perfect, but still nice. Seems to lock up good and tight. I believe it has extractors. I've not owned a side by side. The looks, weight and feel attracted me. It called to me strongly enough that put it on lay-away for $575.

Your thoughts?

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beretta knows how to make a shotgun. For that price, I'd be all over it. Decent SxS shotguns under $2,000 are becoming a rarity.

Posts: 20094 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
At that money it has to be worth a punt if passes the following tests:

1. The wood at the head of the stock isn't oil damages, a restock would be ludicrously expensive. Some people's gun cleaning regimen seems to include a squirt of gun oil through the firing pin oils after every use.....

2. You say it's tight and on face, check this by taking the fore-end off, pulling the top lever hard over and waggling the gun sideways to see how tight the basic lock up is. Obviously being careful not to shake it so hard or in such a way that the barrels fall off! hilbily

3. If the barrels look fine all well and good but the killer is rust beneath the ribs. To test this suspend the barrels from the lumps with a bit of string or something and strike them with a hard piece of plastic or something. Be very suspicious of barrels that do not produce a beautiful clear ringing sound that decays relatively slowly.

4. Get a light in there and check the forcing cones and end of the chambers for corrosion, the right barrel in particular.

If it looks good after all that count yourself very fortunate and snap it up!

Best,

Amir

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the Beretta 424 S X S 12 b. was introduced back in the 1980s I purchased one with double triggers. I used it for many years hunting ruffed grouse, pheasants and barn pigeons. I had never owned a S X S prior to this or used double trigger guns. I grew quickly to like mine. The only regret I have is it doesn't have ejectors.
The price sounds "really OK" if the condtion is nice. Mine has IC/Mod chokes. And I still use it.
Jim

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim M.:
When the Beretta 424 S X S 12 b. was introduced back in the 1980s I purchased one with double triggers. I used it for many years hunting ruffed grouse, pheasants and barn pigeons. I had never owned a S X S prior to this or used double trigger guns. I grew quickly to like mine. The only regret I have is it doesn't have ejectors.

The price sounds "really OK" if the condtion is nice. Mine has IC/Mod chokes. And I still use it.

I sent my Berette 424 to Woodcock Hill in Eastern PA to have the stock bent to my measurements this past week. Should have done this 15 yrs. ago. Should get it back mid week Oct 10th.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I sent my Beretta 424 to Woodcock Hill in Eastern PA to have the stock bent to my measurements this past week. Should have done this 15 yrs. ago. Should get it back mid week Oct 10th.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim
If you get a chance post a pix of your shotgun.

It will probably be a couple weeks before I bail mine out.

I've been shooting rifles almost exclusively for the last 15 years or so. The rifle range where I'm a member has a bunch of old farts that meet on Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday to shoot and swap lies. I may take the plunge.
Ran into a Beretta Silverhawk last week. I resisted...... so far.

I've been trying to educate myself a little.
Know anything about the CZ bobwhites or the Ugartechea S X S from Spain?

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Know anything about the CZ bobwhites or the Ugartechea S X S from Spain?

The Uggies have a good reputation for handling and reliability. I've never fired on, so can't comment on the handling.

I own a CZ Bobwhite, for about 6 years now, and am still a happy owner. Handles nicely, shoots where I point, decent fit & finish. It came with 5 choke tubes, and I use it for most of my hunting.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
k-22hornet,
thanks for the reply.

Best
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will post a photo of my Beretta 424 when the weather breaks here.

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about the CZ, They are not sold here, but as has been said the Uggies are solid, lower-mid market spanish guns.

there is a chap at the club who has shot sporting clays with his for forty years, or so he claims, and reports nothing to worry about in terms of reliability.

The most important thing is if it fit's you, I think you can still get spares and things.

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote