Find
Notify
Tools

argentina dove shooting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted
im a proffesional guide from argentina here we shoot 1000 shells a day i have prefernces based in experience please send me what you would use for such hard use.juan pd ill tell my 3 favorites then

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have to use the shotguns that I own. I would start the day with my Ruger 20ga Red Label, 20 gauge 870 Rem, 12ga 870 Rem, and a 12Ga M12Y Win. My whole family hunts Geese and the 870 is as dependable in the cold/snow as anything.
The only drawback to the pump for 1000 rounds/day is the recoil. I have a customer who goes to Mexico for doves and he has 6 Browning auto 20ga guns,

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'll bite. They wouldn't be my choices but for price, availability and low recoil I'll guess:

Benelli - Montefeltro, Black Eagle, etc.
Beretta - 390, 391, 303, etc.
Remington - 1100 or 1187

.... in that order

Personally I like O/U's much better and regularly shoot 300 to 500 of 12ga. rounds a day for tournament practice so I don't mind recoil a whole lot.

Juan, let us know what you've observed in the field.

Thanks,
Kyler

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At a whitewing camp in Mexico I used to go to, where shooting would amount to as much as 500 rounds a day, the 1100's always seemed to give the most trouble. No quality over-under is going to give problems with this volume, but some may be more prone to wear on the hinge pin and in the lock-up area than others. The internal mechanism can also get dirty enough to cause trigger cycling problems if you're using dirty ammunition, but that usually takes several thousand rounds. The Browning Citori seems to be pretty tough and capable of extended shooting.

As for myself, I prefer an O/U, and find anything larger than a 20 gauge superfluous for doves. In fact, provided that the availability of shells were no problem, I would prefer a 28 gauge like my Beretta BL-3.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote