Find
Notify
Tools

Need advise for new shooter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted
I want to get my wife a break-open shotgun so we can start shooting clays together and was wondering if it will be better to start her on an O/U or SxS from a learning standpoint? She really likes the "Looks" of the SxS (which is what I use) but I have had a few folks comment the O/U will be more rookie friendly?? Comments please. Thanks, KP

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
sxs are much classier looking, and I do much prefer them.
However, for a beginner, I believe an o/u is easier to sight down.

IMHO

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2585 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mississippian:

I certainly like your lady's taste in preferring the sxs,as an old DB man myself! Smiler Why not let her build on that and use a DB? Shotguns are not "aimed" or "sighted". They are pointed and the idea of a "single sighting plane" ( a big argument of the O/U users) is immaterial to using a shotgun on a flying target. (The connection is of eye and a fleeting 'underlook' of the muzzle with the bird -similar almost exactly to whipping up one's hand and pointing a finger at an object. The coordination is almost always unerring in that instance) This point simply is not understood by many shotgun shooters. It is very fundamental - Since you apparently understand it, stand up for the sxs! Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is very fundamental - Since you apparently understand it, stand up for the sxs!

Im still learning myself! I would say Im an average shooter at my best and it all goes back to lack of practice. I rarely shoot my smooth bores even though I love the activity. I feel like that will change when I get my wife set up with her own shotgun.

Thanks for the input so far! Im still researching.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote