New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stigmatism S.O.S.!
 Login/Join

<DOATargets>
posted
I was guessing this is the best place to post this because Shotguners mostly use two eyes open when shooting.
I have been told that I have a Stigmatism in my left eye. The effect it has on a target/clay bird is to make it look like more than one with both eyes open. My left eye alone makes it appear as if they ( one clay bird ) are stacked on top of each other. I know I can shoot with the left eye closed but depth and the ability to pick up birds are hampered. Does anyone have experience with this?
Any help will help.
Thanks
DOA

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's only in one eye, then see your eye doctor about getting a toric contact lens for that eye. Toric lenses are soft lenses, but are ground to correct for stigmatism. I wear them in both eyes. Without them, my vision is blurred a bit. With them, I can see through walls.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<DOATargets>
posted
Thanks Aquavit.
If I could only put something in my eye that would be great. I would guess that they have glasses like this?

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
I have friend that lost his left eye in a shoting aksident. His is still a very good shotgunner.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<ChuckD>
posted
DOA..., Yes I have the same problem, in addition to farsightedness. Yes glasses correct for it, except when shooting a shotgun. I watch for the birds with both eyes, and close one at the last second. It works for me (shot a 24/25 at sporting clays this week), and also provides a reasonable excuse for bad days (shot 15's the week before). For me this is all part of aging, which certainly beats the alternative! Regards, Chuck

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Hey, I have a new excuse! I have an astigmatism, near sighted, and cross eye dominant. It's amazing I can figure you which end of the gun goes where..... LOL!

I just learned to squint my left eye. It forces the non-dominant eye to take over, but still retain some depth perception. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<DOATargets>
posted
Big D -
I shot today and shot 25/25 in trap and 47/50 in five stand. I did it with out using glasses but did a ton of luck [Confused] .
It's a bitch but I'm working with it.
DOves still seem to be a problem. I used 50 shells for 10 birds [Wink] .
DOA