New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Fiber wads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for fiber wads to try out some for working up a short range grouse load. I need about a dozen in 16 ga and 12 ga. Will pay shipping and cost. Don't want to get 500 of each and find out they won't do what I want them to.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Call BPI.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Circle Fly. Airville, PA

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2146 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
What does a fibre wad achieve?

Posts: 3867 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve, but you achieve basically the same result by trimming the shot cup petals of a plastic wad. Of course, just as it would be using fiber wads, you will have to compensate for the larger interior volume of the shotshell, especially if it was marginally correct, meaning the load produced a slight overcrimp, before you changed the wad.

BTW if larger patterns at close range are your goal, consider using an X in the wad column.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Clayman,

Today's fibre wads, are, in most cases just "builder's board" sometimes here in Britain known as "Thames" board. I don't know why!

But in old times the best cartridges used "pinks". That is white felt wads that had be sttod in wax, red wax, hence the name "pinks" as the top flat end of the wad had a pink colour.

All you wads can be cut with a wad punch and I am guessing that a local hardware store might have one...even if it isn't made or sold for shot gun cartridge wad making.

With this you can cut an overpowder wad, your "pinks", and undershot wad if you want and an overshot wad if you want.

White felt is easy to obtain in various thicknesses and the red wax grease can be any soft grease really it doesn't have to be red.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote