THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Remington 870 Express Synthetic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 870 Express Synthetic
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of exabit
posted
Hi,

Yesterday I traded my old Brno side-by-side for a brand new Remington 870 Express Synthetic pump action. A black beauty which I got fond of immediately.

I get to choose 3 chokes when I pick it up after the license thing has been settled. Not being used to chokes at all, which 3 should I choose?

I will use it for roedeer, birds in flight (we don't have any hard to kill turkeys here), and also for cracking loads and loads of clays at the trap range.

What is the best sight to put on it at the front? I have spoken to people here in Sweden and there's some stuff that's superior to the factory bead on the barrel.

Thankful for any advice. And really keen on trying out my first pump ever! Big Grin I really love Remingtons rifles, already have two 700's (6,5x55 and 458 Win Mag).

/ Rikard

Posts: 209 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are getting it brand new you should get a set of 3 chokes with it too as well: improved cylinder, modified and full. Which choke you use will depend on how far the shots will be. The improved cylinder generally is good up to 35 yards, the modified up to 45 yards and the full up to 50 or so yards depending on the load you use. It's a good idea to pattern your gun at the ranges the shots will be at and see which choke patterns the best. I don't know if you use slugs or buckshot for roe deer but if you use slugs it usually patterns the best out of the improved cylinder, with buckshot it can be either with the modified or full. For birds I like to use the modified but everyone differs.
You made a good choice and won't be dissapointed with the gun. I know as I have 3 870s and 2 700 rifles too as well.
Hope this was any help.

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of exabit
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answer, SuperMagnum. And sorry for my late reply.

Actually, here in Sweden, buckshot aren't allowed for any game. We use US 1 thru 3 for roe deer (which is much smaller than your deer).

Also, slugs aren't allowed for deer hunting either. Only for wild pigs and if you're after a wounded moose for example.

I guess I will have to try out those three chokes and get accustomed to them. This really opens up a whole new world for me who have been using my Brno side-by-side only casually in the past.

Got the 870 license today, after a mere three weeks at the local police.

/ Rikard

Posts: 209 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote