Find
Notify
Tools

defense shotgun
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of emron
posted
does anyone make a 12 ga 3.5 inch double shotgun that could be reduced to 16.5inches?

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can, w/a hacksaw bsflag

Seriously, why would you want to do that? 2 3/4" shells are more that sufficient and allow for quick followups. Not so w/ 3" & 3 1/2".

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
That makes little sense, a basic coach gun w/ 2 3/4" defense shells is all you need. Simple is best for home defense, IMO, b/c who knows how one will react in a real-life self defense situation.

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose that if you standard shells for you everyday hunting shot gun are 3.5" it actually does make sense.

I would guess that the AYA Matador, if available in the USA, would fit the bill in that it is 3.0" or maybe one of the Beretta O/U guns?

But I think that its "bark" would be quite unpleasant and I think that a 10 Gauge would actually be better than a 3.5" 12 Gauge.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Why mess with a little 12?

My dino coach gun. 3 1/2 inch double 10 ga.
Big advantage here is double the standard 12 ga payload in OO buck (19 pellets)and #4 buck(54 pellets). Slugs go just under 2oz.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why limit your self to a double gun? Don't know your wallet size, but the Mossberg 590 comes in a pump, with great sights, 9 !! shots, and can be had for minor buckets with some shopping. It is Mil-spec. Beretta and Benelli also make great defense guns-look at pistol grip stocks too-very good addition. Wilson Combat (I think) has taken over the premier Combat Shotgun company and offers more options on the Rem 870 than a new Cadillac!

Posts: 37 | Location: SE USA | Registered: 12 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by emron:
does anyone make a 12 ga 3.5 inch double shotgun that could be reduced to 16.5inches?

You're in the USA so please note that this isn't legal without NFA paperwork/tax/permission.
In shotguns, it's different than rifles.
Shotguns must have a barrel length of at least 18 inches (in rifles it only needs to be 16") and an overall length of at least 26 inches.

you can do it, you just need to do the paperwork for a short barreled shotgun.

Just FYI before you go cutting away.

Brian H
Longmont CO

Posts: 79 | Location: Longmont, CO, USA | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bubbinaor:
Why limit your self to a double gun? Don't know your wallet size, but the Mossberg 590 comes in a pump, with great sights, 9 !! shots, and can be had for minor buckets with some shopping. It is Mil-spec. Beretta and Benelli also make great defense guns-look at pistol grip stocks too-very good addition. Wilson Combat (I think) has taken over the premier Combat Shotgun company and offers more options on the Rem 870 than a new Cadillac!

gotta be kidding me-- 2 10ga mags = 4 12 ga. standards in payload of buckshot or slugs. If I can't hit something in 2 shots I guess I could grab my sp-10 deerslayer for more firepower, but I can't see how it would be needed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is just something special about looking down the business end of a double, especially a ten gauge like mine...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Express_Rifles:
http://www.stoegerindustries.c...r_double_defense.php

+1
I own one, gave up the high capacity defense shotguns for ultra quick two shots and unbeatable handling in close quarters/home defense.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
There is just something special about looking down the business end of a double, especially a ten gauge like mine...

Rich

would love to see a photo of yours rich-- love the big 10!