Find
Notify
Tools

A solid recommendation
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted
I'm going to share my recipe for a really cool gun! Its a 300 blackout/.300 whisper on a Rem 700. It shoots subsonic 220 gr Matchkings into the .2"s at 100 yrds and sounds like a hand held staple gun with a Gemtech HVT suppressor. You can also shoot supersonic bullets 110-220gr and so far EVERYTHING I've tried is MOA.
I built mine by first buying a Rem 700 BDL in .17 Fireball( $550). This is important as you need the small extractor as the 300 blackout is made from .221 FB cases. Next get a 16 inch medium contour AAC 300 Blackout barrel from Midway for around $400. The barrel is threaded at the muzzel 5/8X24. Pull the old barrel and simply screw on the AAC barrel. Mine headspaced perfectly. The hard part is the magazine. I'd buy a .223 mag and follower from Brownells to replace the FB mag as you will need to seat the bullets out to 2.226 OAL. The FB mags come with a welded on spacer and I cut mine back and rewelded in place to fit the longer bullets. I also just took a spare .308 follower and just ground it to fit. Screwed a 5/8X24 Gemtech quick mount on the muzzel. Thats basically it. Whole job took 3 hrs, most of it in making the mag box work. You could probably re-use the .17FB stock (plastic) but it would require opening up the barrel channel and some glass bedding. I didn't bother.
I stuck the action in a Choate Ultimate sniper stock as I had one and it has an aluminum bedding block and headed to the range. Oh yes, I stuck a 1-4 leupold on it.
Best subsonic load to date is 11.2 gr of AA1680 and a 220 MK OAL 2.226. I make my cases using a 300 whisper die set from .221 Fireball brass. The dieset comes with a expander that takes the cases from .22 to .30 in one pass.
Try it, you'll like it.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds nice. Have you tried 223 brass? Too bad they do not make a Savage barrel in 300 blk.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Ran40- No. I've not bothered with .223 brass as it's too much work. One pass with a .300 whisper FL die works perfectly. I've had a good supply of .221 fireball brass for years. Today I switched the stock to a AI chassis. Really looks cool now!-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a young Iraqi Vet in Utah that is making the Blackout brass from 223 military. He has a Giraud trimmer and does the complete case prep; FL size, trim, ream primer pocket crimp, for about nine cents a case. I had him do a box of 1265 (I operate on the lifetime supply up front theory) for me and it was just over a hundred bucks. I like the BLK over the Whisper because 221 brass necked up thins the neck too much for my preference.

www.bradswarehouse.com

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rob,

Is the extractor for the .221FB/.17FB different from the extractor for the .223?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Rob,

Is the extractor for the .221FB/.17FB different from the extractor for the .223?

George

X2 on that question. I hunt some orange groves in florid and I am thinking of building a 300blackout for the job.

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I don't have a .223 so can't tell for sure, but believe they are different. Others have tried to build a 300 blackout on the .223 action and have had extraction problems. That's why I went withna .17fireball action. Works perfectly.-Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranb40:
Sounds nice. Have you tried 223 brass? Too bad they do not make a Savage barrel in 300 blk.

Ranb

Savage has the Blackout new this year in the Model 10 Predator Carbine. I've been looking at it pretty hard on their web site. I haven't been able to find any yet locally.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is going to be on a 22 inch unthreaded barrel? If so, then they will be short changing themselves. They should have a 16" barrel with a threaded muzzle to attract more silencer users.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I screwed up it is the M10 Precision Carbine, looks threaded for a "can",20" barrel.

Sku: 19624 New Chambering for 2012
Caliber: 300 AAC BLACKOUT Handed: Right
Rate of Twist: n/a Weight: 8.0
Overall Length: 40.5 Barrel Length: 20
Ammo Capacity: 4 MSRP: $899.00