New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 socom
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up a 458 socom upper. Has anybody played with one. Cans are cheep, and the fits a 308 bolt face I may have a barrel turned for my switch barrel rifle, A single shot sako a1 in a mpi a2 style stock.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Tromix upper for my Colt. It works well. I had to use a cutdown spring and empty buffer with the 500 grain cast subsonic until silencer became legal to use in WA. With the silencer attached, my 20 grain charge of WC820 extracts and feeds >99% but occasionally does not stay open on the mag catch when empty.

I use mostly cast ammo as it is much cheaper than jacketed. It was only yesterday while watching another person shoot that I noticed a two inch flame coming out on the first round, surprising to say the least.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
I just picked up a 458 socom upper. Cans are cheep JD

Where can one get a 458 socom can, and what is the price to expect?

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just picked up a 458 socom upper. Has anybody played with one. Cans are cheep, and the fits a 308 bolt face I may have a barrel turned for my switch barrel rifle, A single shot sako a1 in a mpi a2 style stock.

JD

Check out the 458 SOCOM Forums at 458socomforums.com/index.php. There's a lot of SOCOM expertise over there, including SBRs and cans, ammo and hunting. Everything 458 SOCOM!

tu2

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just picked up a 458 socom upper.

Cans are cheep,

JD

I went to the SOCOM forums. Not much help. I've tried searches through google. Found a little info, but still nothing cheap.

I found these for the 458 SOCOM - the Thundercap
the PDF catalog way at the end lists the prices.

http://www.awcsystech.com/prod...ressors/thundertrap/
http://www.awcsystech.com/awc_catalog.pdf

I ask again - Where can you get a 458 SOCOM can cheap?

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The same people that make the ammo SBR, go to the 458 socom site (not the forums) there should be a link. I saw them listed for 200 bucks. I just checked now listed as $450.00 heres a link http://www.sbrammunition.com/class3.html
cut and paste it. They are threaded a little different, They fit RR barrels I think they are 32 pitch insted of 28.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 458 RRA upper has 5/8-24 threads. My can is 1.75" x 12", but telescopes over the barrel 4 inches. I should have made it longer.

Ranb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranb40:
My 458 RRA upper has 5/8-24 threads. My can is 1.75" x 12", but telescopes over the barrel 4 inches. I should have made it longer.

Ranb

With a proper can how quite will the socom be,compared to a 300 blk or a 22 lr?

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just checked now listed as $450.00 heres a link http://www.sbrammunition.com/class3.html
cut and paste it. They are threaded a little different, They fit RR barrels I think they are 32 pitch insted of 28.
JD

I've read to avoid aluminum cans for centerfire, because they won't hold up. I don't know about this stuff, but I sure don't want to waste money on somtheing that won't last, just because it's cheap.

What is the difference in longevity comparing aluminum with stainless and titanium?

KB

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
With a proper can how quite will the socom be,compared to a 300 blk or a 22 lr?

My 300 whisper is much louder than my 22lr, my 458 is much louder than my 300 whisper. The key is bore size and powder charge.

A subsonic 22lr has about a 2 grain charge and the silencer bore is less than .3". A 300 whisper or BLK has a 9-10 grain charge and a silencer bore of about .38". My 458 uses a 20 grain charge and the can has a bore of over .5".

The 458 will never be in the same league as a 22 or 30 caliber subsonic cartridge. It is also miles ahead in power when you consider that the 22lr is limited to 60 grain bullets, the 300 blk 250 grain and the 458 can use 600 grain bullets.

Everything is a compromise. The above cans I made are aluminum except for the blast baffles and thread adaptors.

Ranb

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
quote:
I just checked now listed as $450.00 heres a link http://www.sbrammunition.com/class3.html
JD

I've read to avoid aluminum cans for centerfire, because they won't hold up. I don't know about this stuff, but I sure don't want to waste money on somtheing that won't last, just because it's cheap.

What is the difference in longevity comparing aluminum with stainless and titanium?

KB

Its a matter of muzzle pressure and gas volume versus total can volume ratios. If you use a compact aluminum 223 can on a 220 Swift your going to stress the can more. If you use a large aluminum can designed for a 300 WM on a 300 Whisper it will probably last as long as the rifle.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote